• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suitable camera bag (1 Viewer)

Gaz Shilton

United Kingdom
I would like advice please with knowing which is the right bag for a 1D MkIII with a 300 f2.8 attached plus space for converters etc.
The Lowepro one I ordered from W/E (400 AW black) has been discontinued.
Thank you in advance.

I would like advice please with knowing which is the right bag for a 1D MkIII with a 300 f2.8 attached plus space for converters etc.
The Lowepro one I ordered from W/E (400 AW black) has been discontinued.
Thank you in advance.

Do you want the bag for carrying the kit while you're out during the day, or for travelling from place to place? If it's the former - do you want to have the lens hood attached or not?

I've got -

ThinkTank Airport Acceleration for travel. Takes the 50D with 300mm attached (although I seperate them for travel) and a load of other gear. Just fits inside airport size restrictions, but is too heavy to carry when out for the day.

For that I used to use the ThinkTank Glass Taxi. Takes the camera with lens (and a TC) atached. But the hood has to be reversed and there's not much space for extra goodies. When I fly the Glass Taxi (empty) goes in my main luggage so I can use it at my destination.

Now I use the Lowepro 600AW. Takes the lens, camera and TC with the hood in the shooting position. There's a small pocket on the front for bit's 'n' pieces and I have a Lowepro sliplock case attached to carry my bins.

Do you want the bag for carrying the kit while you're out during the day, or for travelling from place to place? If it's the former - do you want to have the lens hood attached or not?

I've got -

ThinkTank Airport Acceleration for travel. Takes the 50D with 300mm attached (although I seperate them for travel) and a load of other gear. Just fits inside airport size restrictions, but is too heavy to carry when out for the day.

For that I used to use the ThinkTank Glass Taxi. Takes the camera with lens (and a TC) atached. But the hood has to be reversed and there's not much space for extra goodies. When I fly the Glass Taxi (empty) goes in my main luggage so I can use it at my destination.

Now I use the Lowepro 600AW. Takes the lens, camera and TC with the hood in the shooting position. There's a small pocket on the front for bit's 'n' pieces and I have a Lowepro sliplock case attached to carry my bins.

I have looked at the 600AW.
It's more for carrying while I'm out and about.
Won't be going on any planes.
Plus the 300 could still have its hood attached so I can just pick it out and crack on.
The only drawback I can see with the 600AW is that there isn't much room for anything else i.e., beanbag, maybe another body and small lens for insects and such like. I have also looked at the following: Kata BP-502 GDC Backpack Medium/Small.
This could fit what I need and more.

I have the same setup and I have the Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic; it takes the lens (with lens hood in place) and 1.4xTC both attached to the camera so its all ready for shooting straight out of the bag. Also has room for a second body, 24-105mm, 70-300mm & 2xTC.

It can all be carried in the field (ie when away on holiday and not knowing what you will need) but it is a bit on the heavy side. That said, being a rucksack design it is suprisingly comfortable to carry despite the weight.

Hope this helps.

The Tamrac Expedition 8 is the bag for you!!!
1D + either convertor + 300 f2.8 lens with hood on, fits nicely. Theres plenty of room for everything else too.
If you can't fit everything in, then you're carrying too much gear. For about a £100 you can't go wrong.
Mike.

Looking at all these options online just now, the Tamrac Expedition 8 looks like the best deal. It's the biggest camera pack from Tamrac and at about $250US a lot cheaper than the big LowePro Trekker packs, which are $300-500. It also looks like it will hold all my digital Canon gear plus my entire 35mm Nikon system -- which I will likely not pull out of the closet to check.

It seems like very visit to Birdforum makes me want to immediately spend at least $300. Does that happen to everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
For traveling....I use the basic Canon backpack...it holds everything, costs around $50. Some love it, some don't. For in the field I have a Tamrac Velocity 8. I can get my 450 plus a 300 attached with TC.... Each to their own.

Another vote for the Tamrac Expedition 8 tho' now I don't do so much hiking (and so don't need all the space) and it was the earlier model (the "newer" ones have better straps), I treated myself to the Expedition 7. Fits my Canon 40D/grip/Sigma 150-500mm OS with hood fitted and my Sigma SD14/105mm as well as misc lenses and Benbo Trekker! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back