• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300mm f2.8 v Canon 300 f2.8 (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
Sigma 300mm f2.8 v Canon 300 f2.8 OK I know the sigma does not have IS but I don't have IS on any of my lences. But whats it like in IQ v IQ Lens to Lens as you can see I am fan of Sigma

If you want to hand hold this lens I would suggest that the lack of IS (OS) is a big drawback for something of this weight, especially if you use it with converters. - if you are prepared to use a tripod it is not such a big deal.
There are 22 reviews on Fred Miranda and it comes out pretty well at 9.5. The canon has 98 reviews on the same site, all with a perfect 10. It is generally reckoned that the Canon 300/2.8 is one of the best/sharpest lenses Canon have ever made.
Of course the Siggy is a lot cheaper so its a question of working out the value for money for you. I cannot see much reference to the Siggy's ability to take a 2x tc but it seems to take a 1.4 very well.

Adrian uses the Sigma 300 f2.8 with both 1.4x and 2x tcs with very good results. I suspect that the Canon would have the edge in quality (I know it did when I compared the 500 primes) but whether it's worth the extra money only you can decide.

The Canon lens is better.

However it is not the IQ that makes it better for me, the difference in IQ is minimal in my opinion. The Sigma lacks a focus distance limiter, eye holes for straps and IS. I would like IS for hand holding when shooting at the 300-420mm range in low light. I think that the Sigma 300 is a cracking lens and using the 2x Converter this year I got some fantastic dotterel shots and a bag full of waxwings in the worst of Manchester's weather .

Caveat: Shooting at 600mm requires good techqnique . The slightest bit of sloppiness will produce poor results. You will need a good tripod head or bean bag and not be heavy handed with the trigger finger and be preared to use a cable release when appropriate.

The general rule is get the best you are able to afford. If you can't get the Canon don't hesitate about the Sigma it will serve you very well I am sure. I have to admit the price difference at the moment is huge and with the difference in price you can get another top quality lens to increase your lens choice for any given shooting situation.

Thanks for your replies on this matter. It seems as I thought the Canon has more of an edge over the Sigma, I am not in position at the moment to buy any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back