• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (56 Viewers)

Dave j has just had a siskin and 3 little egrets via Vern:t:
Dave has had a bit of movement. From The causeway "vis mig' lookout. , including 35 meadow pipits. A sure sign of migration. Also 4 grey wag on sailing pool. The 2 ruff 2 green sand and a common sand at flashes. The gales are due 4 ish. Watch this space.

Last edited:
Nothing new at the Flashes up until 10 am, but that can all change later of course! 2 Ruff and one Common Sandpiper. The Sailing pool was covered in Swallows and Martins feeding up - a wonderful sight. :t:

Attachments

• House Martin.jpg
    House Martin.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 110
one of the 3 Little Egrets. poor light today and the wind was getting up but still a good turn out as usual
little egret
heron

Attachments

• Little Egret DSC_4018.jpg
    Little Egret DSC_4018.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 102
  • heron in flight uw DSC_0727.jpg
    heron in flight uw DSC_0727.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Ringed Mediterranean Gull

An adult Med Gull PNU4 was recorded at the Moors Pool on the 24th March 2013 and then in the roost at the Flashes the following day and again on the 30th March before being noted at the Moors Pool on the 1st April. The same bird was later observed at Tittesworth Reservoir, north Staffordshire on the 10th August.

Many thanks to Steve Gibson (s.g.), the observer at Tittesworth, for tracking down the history of this bird. It was ringed as a breeding bird at Wojcice, Opolskie, Poland (in the south-west of Poland near the Czech border) on the 27th May 2012. There have been no other sightings recorded.

No visit to Upton from me today; got distracted by a twitchable Great Snipe at Spurn. Many thanks to Isreal for the early heads-up this morning; lucky I have "got your name" in my phone ;):t:

Last edited:
We must have been close to each other Phil. I was there from 6.30 to 11am.

John

No visit to Upton from me today; got distracted by a twitchable Great Snipe at Spurn. Many thanks to Isreal for the early heads-up this morning; lucky I have "got your name" in my phone ;):t:

An adult Med Gull PNU4 was recorded at the Moors Pool on the 24th March 2013 and then in the roost at the Flashes the following day and again on the 30th March before being noted at the Moors Pool on the 1st April. The same bird was later observed at Tittesworth Reservoir, north Staffordshire on the 10th August.

Many thanks to Steve Gibson (s.g.), the observer at Tittesworth, for tracking down the history of this bird. It was ringed as a breeding bird at Wojcice, Opolskie, Poland (in the south-west of Poland near the Czech border) on the 27th May 2012. There have been no other sightings recorded.

No problem Phil,Bit envious though, i've seen Great Snipe at Spurn but nothing like the views you had.

Chris. T.

my contribution from today.

a few from today, light dreadful last one is when a new swan turned up and got driven off.

Attachments

• DSC05067.JPG
    DSC05067.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC05092.JPG
    DSC05092.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC05109.JPG
    DSC05109.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC05140.JPG
    DSC05140.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC05155.JPG
    DSC05155.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 85
Gale force winds????????

What happened to the pending storm.....:eek!:
Well the rain persisted for a while, but apart from a few gusts, it was a damp squib.
Very few birders on site this afternoon, apart from Paul A, Crofty, Dave W and myself.
The Moors saw a small increase in snipe on 'snipe island', a wigeon and a good number of 'downed' hirundines.
Highlights: Little grebe 10+, shoveler 10, teal 25, Wigeon (fem), snipe 7, lapwing 80, house martin 150, swallow 40, sand martin 5.

Sailing Pool: grey Wag adult, swallow 60, house martin 20

The Flashes: Teal 30, shoveler 10, ruff 2, common sand, curlew 21, lapwing c100, BHG 700 roosted, LBBG 13 roosted the most for a good while maybe wind assisted 8-P.

Last edited:
hirundines during poor weather conditions

Just an observation.
Has anyone noticed, how there are usually more swallows on the sailing pool than house martins. The latter gather more over the willows along the southern border of the sailing pool.
conversley - At the Moors there are far more house martins than swallows over the water.
My theory, for what its worth, is that the swallows are more hardy than HM's. The sailing pool has been made much more 'open', a requirement for good yachting, thus they are exposed to harsh weather. At the Moors, the more tree lined periphery, 'shelters' the birds from the worst of the elements. Thus the less hardy house martins, find it to their liking.
A bit of a simplistic explanation, but the ratios today were as follows.

Sailing Pool
swallow to House martin 3:1
Moors
House martin to swallow (roughly) 4:1
Over the years I have observed similar ratios. *I would be interested in other's theories.
Too much time on my hands, we need a goody desperately.8-P

Last edited:
Just an observation.
Has anyone noticed, how there are usually more swallows on the sailing pool than house martins. The latter gather more over the willows along the southern border of the sailing pool.
conversley - At the Moors there are far more house martins than swallows over the water.
My theory, for what its worth, is that the swallows are more hardy than HM's. The sailing pool has been made much more 'open', a requirement for good yachting, thus they are exposed to harsh weather. At the Moors, the more tree lined periphery, 'shelters' the birds from the worst of the elements. Thus the less hardy house martins, find it to their liking.
A bit of a simplistic explanation, but the ratios today were as follows.

Sailing Pool
swallow to House martin 3:1
Moors
House martin to swallow (roughly) 4:1
Over the years I have observed similar ratios. *I would be interested in other's theories.
Too much time on my hands, we need a goody desperately.8-P

Ive read the signs so i dont tend to look over in that direction pal o:):-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back