• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new laptop..........keep losing internet connection. (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Before I throw this new laptop through the window can someone advise please.
The old laptop must be 8 years old.
The new one is a Toshiba with windows 10.
When (with the old one) I go on wifi at home there is no problem.
With the new one I am constantly losing the connection. When I click on the icon it tells me I am connected but I get a screen shot saying something like "we are sorry we have lost you.........it is not the same without you........please come back soon".
Besides screaming "I HAVENT BLOODY GONE ANY WHERE!!!! I don't know what to do.
So..............
Is it Windows 10 or the computer that is causing the problem ?
BTW.....I have used the new one alongside the old one and the old one is fine.
BTW...I amusing it in the conservatory.........the Virgin modem thingy is in the front room some 15 metres away.

it could be that Windows 10 is in a power saving mode for the wifi card , go to network and sharing centre...click on " change adapter settings " ...right click on your adapter and select " properties ,,,then click on configure . Find the power management tab and untick the box allowing Windows to turn off your wireless to save power .....see if that helps.

Ashley

it could be that Windows 10 is in a power saving mode for the wifi card , go to network and sharing centre...click on " change adapter settings " ...right click on your adapter and select " properties ,,,then click on configure . Find the power management tab and untick the box allowing Windows to turn off your wireless to save power .....see if that helps.

Ashley
Thanks for that.
TBH............I understand perhaps 2% of it but if bfouch's advice doesn't work I can follow your instructions.

David , if you find it difficult try getting a mate or someone to have a look for you as a first resort , if Windows 10 is turning off your wireless card to save power it still wont always connect even if you sit right next to the wireless router .

Ashley

David , if you find it difficult try getting a mate or someone to have a look for you as a first resort , if Windows 10 is turning off your wireless card to save power it still wont always connect even if you sit right next to the wireless router .
Ashley

Thanks again.
As a dinosaur I do have a friend who's son is a bit of a computer whiz.

Hi David, if you think it may be the distance from the router/modem that is causing your wi-fi problems try using the laptop while sitting next to the router/modem and see if that helps. If it does then you will know it is the distance, if not then it must be something else.

Dave

Hi David, if you think it may be the distance from the router/modem that is causing your wi-fi problems try using the laptop while sitting next to the router/modem and see if that helps. If it does then you will know it is the distance, if not then it must be something else.

Dave

Thanks............I should have said that I have done that and it does work. What was puzzling me was that my 8 year old laptop never lost connection but my new all singing Windows 10 one does:C
It does sound like bfouch says............it needs a range extender.
Or a kick up the ****

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back