• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which free photo editing software is best ?? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
For years I have used Fotofiltre as an easy/simple photo processor. Most times I just sharpen/adjust some contrast & maybe lighten/darken etc.
I have just got a new laptop so am wondering...........is there anything newer/better than that.
I don't do enough to justify Photoshop.
Thanks

RawTherapee, Darktable* and LightZone are some other free programs that replicate the Lightroom style of program.

* Only Linux or Mac

Raw Therapee works just fine. It's also available as a portable app, so there's no need to install it on a computer, it runs from a stick. If you don't use RAW, have a look at PhotoFiltre, also available as a portable app: www.portableapps.com. Gimp is - like Photoshop - overkill if you don't want to manipulate images.

Hermann

A vote for Photoscape which I find ideal for fast editing, plus crop and resize. Doesn't deal with RAW but is quite easy to use without too much of a learning curve, and gives you an idea of what might be possible using Photoshop when you have more time later.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back