• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Differences Win7 and Win10 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I am still running Win7, but I am getting close to wanting to switch over. My reluctance is with not knowing what to expect. Is there a good intro on what the differences are and what to do when switching? My PC does not have a touch screen.

I have an older machine, and it is not possible to install more than 4gb or RAM. I have heard the difference between the two versions is minute with regards to how much ram they demand? Is that a reason to worry?

thanks
Niels

Stay with 7 , I am only recommending that my clients change if they are running Windows 8/8.1 ( which was/is truly awful ) . Not a huge difference between 7 and 10 so if it's working ok then leave it be .

Ashley

Thanks Ashley,
I am not sure it is working ok. When I had a WinXP machine, at one time I had to reinstall because the PC did not perform properly. I am close to the same feeling right now.

Niels

Niels,

I accidentally upgraded one of my notebooks to Windows 10 (hit the wrong button a couple of weeks ago ... ), and it's really not that different from Windows 7. Runs pretty well considering the notebook is a few years old (Thinkpad x200 Tablet).

Still, I think I'll stick to Windows 7 with my other computers for the time being. If I were you I'd try to sort out the current Windows 7 installation before upgrading.

Hermann

Seems I got a bit further. I have a while back installed a USB3 card into a PC that did not otherwise have USB3, only USB2. My photos live on an external HD that for a while has connected to the PC using that USB3 card. Now it seems to have gone flaky, because connecting it through USB2 the last couple of days, reading from the HD has been slower but all other problems have disappeared. I need to figure out what the next step will be there.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back