• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Peru (1 Viewer)

Grahame

undefined : Hello, I am travelling to Peru next year and am looking for clues on budget travel/accommodation into the Amazon Basin. no preferences for a starting point.

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

Welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am afraid I can't help with your query but I am sure someone will be able to. Sounds like you have a great trip lined up.

Hi Grahame,

Welcome to Birdforum.

From some of the Birds we see in the gallery you have picked a wonderful place to visit.
We have 2 members that spring to mind from Peru, one is actually called BirdsPeru and the other is Plazarus. They may be able to help you out on this one. They may see this thread and answer it, if not you could always PM one of them. In fact BirdsPeru in his Hello thread said he is looking forward to exchanging information.
Here is a link to it http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=18800&highlight=peru

Okay Grahame

you could go to Iquitos (north) or Manu area (south-east). Manu is easier i think. Get to Cusco first either overland or fly from Lima. From there you can either go down the Manu road which in itself is awesome birding or you could take the short flight into Puerto Maldonado. We did this and hired a boat (I don't think this had been done before!) It was slightly risky as we didn't really know what we were doing..... you could go up to Tambopata where there are lodges eg TPL or Explorers Inn. We spent some time here but went mostly the opposite direction from PM up the Rio de Las Piedras. Two lodges were vbeing built when we visited in 2002. There are more birds and especially mammals up this river than tambopata. We only got charged $10 a night but took food with us. I guess it might be a lot more now though. We also camped in the jungle or on sand bars which was of course FREE!

We hadthe adbvantage though that my mate worked for three years in Tambopata so we had good cotacts but you could do it i reckon without too much difficulty. I think it will turn out to be my best ever birding trip......although next years OBC trip to Tibetan Plateau might rival it

PM me for more info if u like Grahame

Your other option is a tour into Manu Wildlife Centre / Cocha cachu - very expensive

Hi Grahame,

Nice thread - I'm going for a few months myself next year! You must get hold of

Where to Watch Birds in Peru by Thomas Valqui.

It came out a couple of months ago and I got mine yesterday - it is absolutely amazing. All the logistics are covered for travel & budget birding.

check out this website for further details on how to get the book and for regularly updated corrections and further sites

www.granperu.com/birdwatchingbook

Tom

Hi Grahame,

Welcome to BirdForum and to Peru in the near future.

Regarding your question about lodging and prices I am not to aware of them but a good place to look in is:

http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com (Kolibri Expeditions - Peruvian company dedicated to birding here in Peru)

They can help you.

Alejandro

birding peru

Tim Allwood said:
Okay Grahame

you could go to Iquitos (north) or Manu area (south-east). Manu is easier i think. Get to Cusco first either overland or fly from Lima. From there you can either go down the Manu road which in itself is awesome birding or you could take the short flight into Puerto Maldonado. We did this and hired a boat (I don't think this had been done before!) It was slightly risky as we didn't really know what we were doing..... you could go up to Tambopata where there are lodges eg TPL or Explorers Inn. We spent some time here but went mostly the opposite direction from PM up the Rio de Las Piedras. Two lodges were vbeing built when we visited in 2002. There are more birds and especially mammals up this river than tambopata. We only got charged $10 a night but took food with us. I guess it might be a lot more now though. We also camped in the jungle or on sand bars which was of course FREE!

We hadthe adbvantage though that my mate worked for three years in Tambopata so we had good cotacts but you could do it i reckon without too much difficulty. I think it will turn out to be my best ever birding trip......although next years OBC trip to Tibetan Plateau might rival it

PM me for more info if u like Grahame

Your other option is a tour into Manu Wildlife Centre / Cocha cachu - very expensive

Tim
Thanks for the info. I will make some inquiries. Can you remember that name of the place that charged you $10 per night please?

Cheers

Grahame (from Oz)

birding peru

tom mckinney said:
Hi Grahame,

Nice thread - I'm going for a few months myself next year! You must get hold of

Where to Watch Birds in Peru by Thomas Valqui.

It came out a couple of months ago and I got mine yesterday - it is absolutely amazing. All the logistics are covered for travel & budget birding.

check out this website for further details on how to get the book and for regularly updated corrections and further sites

www.granperu.com/birdwatchingbook

Tom

Thanks Tom, I will a copy.

Happy birding.

Grahame (from Oz)

Yes

one is run by a guy called Juan Juliowith an Engliush wife..... really nice bloke - the other is run by a guy called Pepe Moscoso. Pretty sure they will be a lot more now though but if you get a boat you could camp anywhere......

I put a report on the net just gogle my name with peru and it should appear

the TPL lodge office in Maldonado are a good help too

Re: Peru

Hi i did a bargaintour with Naturetrek in 2003,absolutely brilliant sights and 350+ new birds...42 hummers,38 tanagers,Inca tern,Andean c.o.t.r etc,check it out and do it

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back