Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 16:00   #26
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Wire-tailed Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butterworth View Post
Wasn't there a record of Wire-tailed Swallow from Egypt in the '90s?
It's not listed by EORC or AERC.

PS. Jiguet et al 2010. First report of the Egyptian Ornithological Rarities Committee.
Quote:
The following records have been considered as not proven by the committee. As a consequence, the following species are not considered to have occurred in Egypt.

Wire-tailed Swallow Hirundo smithii, Wadi Hagul, 1 ind., 30 March 1995. Several key features are not described (e.g. the dark ventral bar) and the description and drawing of the tail pattern is not appropriate for that species.

Last edited by Richard Klim : Thursday 24th May 2012 at 22:18. Reason: PS.
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 17:14   #27
nick scarle
Leo

There was a Chinese Pond Heron in Hungary in 2000, I think only the second ever record. It's in the concise BWP but not here?

Nick
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 18:11   #28
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick scarle View Post
There was a Chinese Pond Heron in Hungary in 2000, I think only the second ever record. It's in the concise BWP but not here?

Nick
It was accepted in category D and therefore not in the book... Actually, none of the European records have been accepted into category A...
Old Thursday 24th May 2012, 18:14   #29
Richard Klim

Chinese Pond Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick scarle View Post
It's on the Hungarian Rarities Committee's list as Cat D (reasonable doubt of occurrence in a natural state).

PS. Marcel is quicker - and more knowledgeable!

Last edited by Richard Klim : Thursday 24th May 2012 at 21:41.
Old Friday 25th May 2012, 12:48   #30
Hungarian birder

[quote=Richard Klim;2447562]It's on the Hungarian Rarities Committee's list as Cat D (reasonable doubt of occurrence in a natural state).

Hi there,

This Chinese Pond Heron got a Da, means it has some chance for the natural origin, De means no chance for the natural origin.
If you make a list, you can count, but this book includes only records category A and B!

Good birding!
Old Friday 25th May 2012, 15:01   #31
nick scarle
Leo

Thanks all for the clarification. I was there at the time and saw the bird for myself but never really followed up on the Rarities List.

Cheers
Nick
Old Monday 16th July 2012, 18:57   #32
Richard Klim

British Birds

Reviewed by Paul Harvey: BB 105(7): 422.

[Harvey notes that the taxonomy follows that of the Dutch authorities, and comments that he was surprised to see Parulidae and Icteridae merged into Emberizidae. But exactly the same treatment was adopted by BOURC (wef 38th Report, Oct 2009).]
Old Saturday 21st July 2012, 19:30   #33
Severtzov
The damnedest thing you ever saw

Indian Pond Heron

I see that Marcel Haas has included Indian Pond Heron in his book on the basis of a claim in Egypt but this has been found to be not proven (like the Wire-tailed Swallow in the same report). See:-

Jiguet et al 2010 First report of the Egyptian Ornithological Rarities Committee.

Quote:
Indian Pond Heron Ardeola grayii. Luxor, Crocodile Island, 1 pre-breeding adult, 24 April 2004. The specific identification relies on correct aging as an adult which is challenged by the non-breeding plumage in April, while the lores are not described.
S
Old Saturday 21st July 2012, 20:13   #34
Richard Klim

Indian Pond Heron

AERC TAC noted that the Egyptian record was rejected, but accepts the species as a vagrant in Kuwait.
Old Monday 23rd July 2012, 16:27   #35
Lukasz L

Interesting :)

In the report they write: record consideret as not proven - 'Indian Pond Heron Ardeola grayii. Luxor, Crocodile Island, 1 pre-breeding adult, 24 April 2004. The specific identification relies on correct aging as an adult which is challenged by the non-breeding plumage in April, while the lores are not described'.

This record is also not accepted by AERC TAC: Crochet P.-A., Joynt G. (2011): http://www.aerc.eu/tac.html

Only (?) confirmed record of WP comes out of Kuwait in November 2009.

Lukasz
Old Tuesday 24th July 2012, 07:19   #36
MarcelHaas

When I wrote the text, the Egyptian Indian Pond Heron was still accepted as the sole WP record.

In November 2009, one was photographed in Kuwait (see http://www.birdsofkuwait.com/blog/?p=2265). After the recently formed Egyptian rarities committee rejected the Luxor record, the record in Kuwait now is the sole record.
Old Tuesday 24th July 2012, 18:52   #37
Severtzov
The damnedest thing you ever saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelHaas View Post
When I wrote the text, the Egyptian Indian Pond Heron was still accepted as the sole WP record.

In November 2009, one was photographed in Kuwait (see http://www.birdsofkuwait.com/blog/?p=2265). After the recently formed Egyptian rarities committee rejected the Luxor record, the record in Kuwait now is the sole record.
I am not sure the Kuwait bird (quoted above) has been formally accepted by the Kuwait Ornithological Rarities Committee (KORC) as it has been suggested that it may be a Chinese Pond Heron Ardeola bacchus. A short discussion paper about this occurrence is being considered and may be prepared at a later date.

S
Old Tuesday 24th July 2012, 22:08   #38
MarcelHaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severtzov View Post
I am not sure the Kuwait bird (quoted above) has been formally accepted by the Kuwait Ornithological Rarities Committee (KORC)
It has, see: http://birdsofkuwait.com/annotated_checklist.shtml

Last edited by MarcelHaas : Tuesday 24th July 2012 at 22:14. Reason: Added link
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: