Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 9th June 2013, 22:44   #1
ZiggyZ

Sparrow Constantly Chirping

Hello,

We have a sparrow that has apparently nested in an old satellite dish outside our fenced yard. I have noticed the sparrow sitting atop the dish and constantly chirping most of the day long. Is it lonely, looking for its mate or a mate? How do these little birds do things, I'm curious?

If I could guess his/her mate is gone/missing and I really don't know if they had babies because although when I see the bird it is often atop the satellite chirping, I've not noticed any babies inside. It is difficult to see inside where the nest is so I am not sure what is going on. I worry the bird feels threatened or in danger and I only seem to see the one bird and it seems so lonely, I don't really hear much of any response.

Thanks!
Old Monday 10th June 2013, 20:11   #2
Brian Mertins

Hey Ziggy,

Do you know what kind of sparrow it is? Certain species like the house sparrow make a constant chipping sound as their normal behavior.

I've also noticed that certain other species like the song sparrow will sometimes chip constantly near their nest. They seem to do it more when there are nest robbers in the area. It's kind of a strange strategy because to me it usually just makes the nest easier to find.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: