Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 18:13   #1
arno7

Lark sp. [Switzerland]

Hello all,

I come here for your opinion on this lark photographed by a friend in Southern Switzerland last weekend, and which is causing much debate. There is only this single picture, and some claim that this is a Calandra Lark, which would be a major rarity in the country. IMO, the long tail, long primary projection and jizz all point toward a Skylark. The bill seems big at the first glance, but a second look reveals it is actually quite thin. Just the black spot on the shoulder is troubling me.

Best thanks,

Arnaud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	larksp.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	625203  
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 18:34   #2
andyadcock

Skylark for me

A
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 21:45   #3
Rotherbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Skylark for me

A
... and for me too. Certainly not Calandra.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 10:05   #4
arno7

Hello all,

sorry to dig out this thread, but the record is currently under review by the homologation committee here in Switzerland, and there is still much discussion on this bird, that might not be a straightforward identification after all. One of the main anti-skylark (and pro-calandra) argument is the look of the tertiaries (with the inner dark part contrasting with outer light part). I still don't get the gut feeling of a calandra, but what about a greater short-toed lark?

Would be really interested to hear what you think, since it would be good to find a consensus here before I have to argue for a skylark in front of the committee.

Best

Arnaud
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 12:41   #5
P.Sunesen

Hi Arnaud,

Greater Short-toed Lark can be excluded at once due to its almost non-existing primary projection.

As you mention, the latter field mark can also be used to eliminate Calandra Lark, because that species has a very long primary projection.

Skylark, however, with its - to quote the Collin's guide - "moderate" primary projection matches perfectly. A further clinching character is the tail projection, which is considerably longer in Skylark than in Calandra Lark, so you should be able to put this claim to rest by using your initial arguments.

Peter

Last edited by P.Sunesen : Wednesday 13th September 2017 at 12:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: