• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (1 Viewer)

Steve C,

I watched the video of the harness, what a great invention! Is it possible to used the eyepiece cover with the harness?

I use a Nite ize #1 s-biner seen here:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-1-Stainless-S-Biner-2-Pack-SB1-2PK-11/202531373

Those come in stainless or black and I use the black version. You only need one although they're sold as a two pack. Please note that in the image shown on that website, the size is enlarged. The actual size is 1.56" x .56"

I clip one end to the split ring that comes with the RY harness and is attached to the binocular lug. I clip the other end on my rain guard. Works great on Zeiss 10x40B. Sometimes depending on assignment / weather I opt to leave the rain guard and clip in my pocket and this make removing it a snap.

Last edited:
I think what you're seeing are the benefits of the larger objectives and the resulting larger size of the 10x50. In a larger binocular like the 10x50 it's a lot easier to control stray light, and even a tiny advantage in how a binocular handles stray light makes quite a difference in a direct comparison. Also, on a bright day, your eye pupils are at something like 2-2.5mm, so in effect you're using only the inner 20-25mm of the objectives, which in turn means the you're using a binocular with a longer focal length than normal which means you get fewer aberrations.

If you want to check up on that effect have a look at Henry Link's review of the Zeiss 8x56 FL where he explains this effect in detail: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81438&highlight=Zeiss+8x56. That's an article well worth reading for anyone interested in binoculars.

Actually, if I didn't have any back problems I'd also use an 8x50 or an 8x56 (I don't need 10x as I almost always carry a scope as well) because the effect Henry described is very clear in the field. But unfortunately the weight is the killer. I nowadays try to keep the weight of my binoculars to no more than 700-750 gr. including the strap and the eyepiece covers if at all possible. Works best for my style of birding.

Hermann

How do we know that 10*50 has longer focal length and by how much margin.

Sanjay

Just to say that the focus on my pair of El 10X50 was intermittently sticky to start with. This was erratic; sometimes, perhaps one in 10 uses, it was but most often not. This took the form of an increased turning effort. Nothing major but I would be aware that I was having to apply slightly increased pressure during focusing. It could not be described as totally smooth. It was not something that I was vastly conscious of until I noted the comments on this forum.

However, over the last couple of days, the focusing seems to have 'worn in' and is now totally faultless; really smooth in both directions and at both maximum and minimum focus.

Rolstone
That break-in period is exactly what most lubricant free designs require. It was true for my Leica and THREE Swarovisions. I wish the naysayers (most are non-owners) would pay attention to the experience of others.

That break-in period is exactly what most lubricant free designs require. It was true for my Leica and THREE Swarovisions. I wish the naysayers (most are non-owners) would pay attention to the experience of others.
2nd that. My Swaro was a little sticky at first but now it is perfect. The design just requires some breaking in.

Speaking from My Comparison Experiences, ALL "store demo" CL, SLC and EL's that I tried-tested-evaluated in the past 6 months (2-CL 8x25's, 2-CL 8x30's, 3-SLC 10x42's, 1-EL 8x32 SV, 4-EL 10x42 SV's and 2-EL 10x50 SV's = 14 Total Swaros) had very fluid and smooth focusers! None had any stiction, uneven responses or hard to turn issues. Were they the best I've ever felt...no (that honor goes to my Buttery Smooth 8 year old Leupold GR 8x42 HD's). However, they were all every bit as precise, smooth and accurate in focus adjustment as any of the latest Zeiss HT or Leica UV+ that I was also glassing with during Alpha Glass testing sessions!

From my Ownership Experiences, the story is a little different, but still good. Below are my New Swarovski model recent purchases:

CL- 8x25 pockets - Focus very smooth and even.

SLC - 10x42 - Stiction in both directions. After 2 weeks, squeaky hard spot developed at 100m to infinity. Focuser replaced by SONA, much better now, with just slight sticton resistance, but even and smooth. Expect this to continue to improve with use.

EL - 10x50 SV - Very liquid and precise focus adjustment from infinity to near field (CCW). Near field to infinity (CW) takes about 25% more effort, but still is very smooth and even resistance throughout. Past month, this CW adjustment effort appears to be getting less and less. I also expect this to smooth out perfectly as I gather more glassing time.

Now, you may ask why I haven't jumped on the bandwagon of "Swaro Wonky Focusers". Simply put, I give Swarovski the credit for taking care of the SLC issue I had ASAP (an apparent defect). Additionally, I quickly realized that all of the hands-on experiences I had with in store demo units were binos that get handled far more often daily than I use mine. IF they came with any adjustment issues, as said above by several members, steady usage broke them in.

Yes, I would like to see all my optical investments work perfectly out of the box, who wouldn't! But too often, experienced users of ALL these wonderful and competitive optical products here on BF have stated, "Improvement with Usage"! I believe this and once I have fully settled on My "Near Perfect Optical Vision" alpha glass selection (to date, the EL 10x50 SV's), I Expect to be able to pass them down to my children and grand children in perfect operating condition!;)

Ted

I see that Rick Young Outdoors is based in the town of Boring, Oregon, which has the motto: "An Exciting place to Live" :-O

Last edited:
Steve C,

I watched the video of the harness, what a great invention! Is it possible to used the eyepiece cover with the harness?

You can use the rain guard with the RY like any other. It fits a bit more snugly so the eye guard is a bit more restricted. IMO you are way better tethering the rain guard to the binocular strap attachment either with a cord or a carabiner.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to do some stargazing with the SV32 and SV50. I was amazed by the amount of "extra" stars the 50 was showing over the 32, for my feeling almost twice as much. In both bins, the stars were pinpoint like all the way to the edge of the pheriphery.

The big one is growing on me every time I use it. Still amazed by the magnificent view the SV50 is giving me. I'm sure when I would have bought the Conquest HD 10x56, I would not even have used it half as much as I do use the SV50 now.
I seem to grab the SV50 over the SV32 more than 80% of the time, while I had expected that it would have been the other way around.
But I have to admit the big FOV of the little SV is addicting as well. They both have their pluses and minuses. They complete each other, and that's exactly the way I wanted it to be:t:

Last edited:
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to do some stargazing with the SV32 and SV50. I was amazed by the amount of "extra" stars the 50 showed over the 32, for my feeling almost twice as much. In both bins, the stars were pinpoint like all the way to the edge of the pheriphery.

The big one is growing on me evevery time I use it. Still amazed by the magnificent view the SV50 is giving me. I'm sure when I would have bought the Conquest HD 10x56, I would not even have used it half as much as I do use the SV50 now.
I seem to grab the SV50 over the SV32 more than 80% of the time, while I had expected that it would have been the other way around.
But I have to admit the big FOV of the little SV is addicting as well. They both have their pluses and minuses. They complete each other, and that's exactly the way I wanted it to be:t:

Great 1 - 2 punch "knock out Optics" Gijs! I'll be in that ring except for the EL 8x32's. For a quick and easy fix for me, looks like the Leupold BX-3 8x32's may be the ticket...for now! ;)

Ted

Friends,

I am still in two minds about EL 10*42 vs 10*50 and that will remain till I buy one. Will you guys advise me to buy now and take the discount offered by Swarovski or I should go for the New El which will be available for sale from sept onwards. I find very awkward objective lense cover in current EL. It seems the new EL have it done in better way. Inputs from team here will be of good help.

Sanjay

Friends,

I am still in two minds about EL 10*42 vs 10*50 and that will remain till I buy one. Will you guys advise me to buy now and take the discount offered by Swarovski or I should go for the New El which will be available for sale from sept onwards. I find very awkward objective lense cover in current EL. It seems the new EL have it done in better way. Inputs from team here will be of good help.

Sanjay

I'd say, buy now and get a discount if you can. Optically they are the same, but the looks of the new one are not my cup of tea. That's just my personal opinion ofcourse.
For what the 42 vs 50 choice concerns, I'd buy the 50 when I wanted a 10x mag. and the 42 when I wanted a 8(.5)x mag. A 4.2mm EP is just a bit too small for my taste for a big bin.
Besides, the 50 is only a wee bit bigger, and just 163g heavier. No brainer for me. Big aperture rules:king:

I need to try the 10x50. According to several opinions this model is something special, and not only because of the 50mm lens. Normally 10x50 is to consider as a slightly larger version of 8,5x42 with almost the same exit pupil, a pretty subtle difference in practice. So it seems that it's even higher quality than the smaller options...

I'd say, buy now and get a discount if you can. Optically they are the same, but the looks of the new one are not my cup of tea. That's just my personal opinion ofcourse.
For what the 42 vs 50 choice concerns, I'd buy the 50 when I wanted a 10x mag. and the 42 when I wanted a 8(.5)x mag. A 4.2mm EP is just a bit too small for my taste for a big bin.
Besides, the 50 is only a wee bit bigger, and just 163g heavier. No brainer for me. Big aperture rules:king:

thanks for your response. Can you tell me some good solution to protect the objective lense than the current ones in EL. i like the new ones but it may not be worth the additional cost than the current one.

Sanjay

thanks for your response. Can you tell me some good solution to protect the objective lense than the current ones in EL. i like the new ones but it may not be worth the additional cost than the current one.

Sanjay

Sanjay, I have absolutely no issues at all with the current covers, they work just fine for me. Not a good reason to wait for the new version IMO|=)|
When I'm walking around with it, they're always open.

Sanjay

Save yourself the money and buy now!! I always walk with objective lens covers fitted. That way, if I walk through a bit of really rough vegetation, I can close them to protect the lenses. They work really well and, once closed, seem to remain tightly closed.

Go for it!! Let the forum know if you decide on the EL 10X42 or the EL 10X50. You will not go wrong with either.

Good luck!
Rolstone

I need to try the 10x50. According to several opinions this model is something special, and not only because of the 50mm lens. Normally 10x50 is to consider as a slightly larger version of 8,5x42 with almost the same exit pupil, a pretty subtle difference in practice. So it seems that it's even higher quality than the smaller options...

subtle but noticeable,
same viewing comfort as the 8,5x but at 10x,
bigger objective lenses, better resolution, more light, better micro-contrast,
and the edge sharpness is even better than the 42mm:s,
to me the 50mm SV have the best ambience/transparence,
the view in the 10x42 SV:s feels a bit more constrained IMO (with glasses).
the zeiss 10x42 SF is much better in that aspect, impressive FOV/AFOV,
the best all-around binos would be a 8.5/8x42mm,
on the other hand, if you want the best possible view, in all light conditions,
10x50 is the way to go,

Last edited:
Sanjay

Save yourself the money and buy now!! I always walk with objective lens covers fitted. That way, if I walk through a bit of really rough vegetation, I can close them to protect the lenses. They work really well and, once closed, seem to remain tightly closed.

Go for it!! Let the forum know if you decide on the EL 10X42 or the EL 10X50. You will not go wrong with either.

Good luck!
Rolstone

I'm not a big fan of 10x, but if the choice were between the EL 10x42 and the EL 10x50, I would definitely get the latter! :t:

I do agree that our dear Sanjay should stop procrastinating and go out and buy! ;)

HN

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back