• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Re-pick 8x32EL, with dizziness after viewing (1 Viewer)

mantice

Hello Good Evening!

I finally got few great moments and time since 3 years ago (work) and pick up my long unused 8x32EL and having some nice backyard viewing, but for the 3rd day I felt slight discomfort and dizziness only after minutes or about 1 hours of viewing.

Would this just temporary and would get away, or is this a sign that body is unable to adapt (just) 8 power of handheld magnifications? (Like when I quit coffee for years, and begin drinking again 2 years ago my body can no longer tolerate caffeine after noon)

Are you sure its collimation is still perfect? If it isn't that could give your eyes discomfort and could make you dizzy. It didn't get banged around during the time it was unused, did it?

Bob

Hello Mantice,

I have two suggestions, after checking collimation:

1. Try using the binocular on a tripod or other solid support.

2. See a physician.

Dizziness or vertigo may be symptoms of something serious.

Take care,
Arthur Pinewood

Sounds obvious but check your diopter setting too. Mine seem to fluctuate. Yours may have shifted a lot in three years....your eyes that is.

Collimation checked - the two circles look ok (I keep it safe at home)
Diopter checked - left right focus ok.
Tripod (sort of) checked - by fixing it on windows the view is relatively relaxing, but I didn't do it for long, will try more this weekend.

I did change my eyeglass with blue-filter and astigmatism correction.

While being as steady as I can handheld (press against my eyeglass to form a triangle), I feel that I can not control micro-shakes from my hands.

And yes - I'll keep physician as last resort :)

Last edited:
Hello Good Evening!

I finally got few great moments and time since 3 years ago (work) and pick up my long unused 8x32EL and having some nice backyard viewing, but for the 3rd day I felt slight discomfort and dizziness only after minutes or about 1 hours of viewing.

Would this just temporary and would get away, or is this a sign that body is unable to adapt (just) 8 power of handheld magnifications? (Like when I quit coffee for years, and begin drinking again 2 years ago my body can no longer tolerate caffeine after noon)

Mantice,

Are static views with you EL 8x32's more comfortable than panning views, or do you experience this discomfort either way?

Ted

Mantice,

Are static views with you EL 8x32's more comfortable than panning views, or do you experience this discomfort either way?

Ted

I think the static view (handheld) is actually more discomfort than panning views - particularly when I'm trying to focus on a nest's entrance. While panning around looking for something interesting I still feel very slight dizziness afterwards but not as bad as static view.

I think the static view (handheld) is actually more discomfort than panning views - particularly when I'm trying to focus on a nest's entrance. While panning around looking for something interesting I still feel very slight dizziness afterwards but not as bad as static view.

A physiological change with your vision may now have you susceptible to RBE. Personally, I was uncomfortable with the EL 8x32 static views and panning I couldn't tolerate at all (gave me vertigo). The EL 10x42's were an improvement, but it wasn't till I glassed with the EL 10x50's that I felt comfortable enough not to be bothered (my perception) by the more gradual RBE effect of their wide and flat FOV.

From what I gathered here at BF, some become use to and not bothered by RBE after a period of use (minutes to days time frames). I'm real sensitive to motion illness (just lucky I guess), always have been, thus may be my reason for sensitivity to the flat field "lack of distortion" effect that the SV has been designed for. Maybe, give yourself some more time to adjust to your new-found 8x32's!

Ted

Hello Theo98, were you refer to newer 8x32 SV? This is the older non-SV I have for many years, been collecting dust in the past few years when life changes rapidly, and only recently took it out for exploring my new surroundings. :t:

And I haven't try another pair of binocular yet, I may need to run to a store some weekends to check it out.

Hello Theo98, were you refer to newer 8x32 SV? This is the older non-SV I have for many years, been collecting dust in the past few years when life changes rapidly, and only recently took it out for exploring my new surroundings. :t:

And I haven't try another pair of binocular yet, I may need to run to a store some weekends to check it out.

Mantice,

Yes, I glassed\experienced\compared just within the past 2 months at a BIG sporting goods B&M store, so the 8x32 SV's should have been very current (except for the newest, past week Swaro announcement of updated EL exterior features...Not Interested)!

However, Binastro had a good suggestion...go and try the EL's that should be in stock at your favorite optics store...should be Swaro MN 32108!

Hope this helps,

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back