Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 14:38   #26
Strontium Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinereous View Post
Wild caught Amazon Parrots were so abundantly in captivity no one ever bothered trying to breed them until the 1960's/70's when legislation was introduced which eventually led to a ban on the import of wild birds.. Only then aviculturists bothered to learn the complex techniques for breeding them.. (same with birds of prey).. Interestingly some people do breed them in Parrot cages and use A.I. with prolific egg laying females.. But the eggs are hatched in incubators and the chicks hand reared.. Even if a 100 years they managed to produce viable eggs in a cage it would be unlikely a bird could hatch them and rear them given the lack of knowledge and appropriate food needed to rear a parrot..
Well you learn something new every day. I knew they had been breeding cockatiels in Europe since the middle of the 19th century, which is many centuries after amazons arrived on the continent. I guess I assumed that they would have been breeding amazons even earlier.
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 15:03   #27
Cinereous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strontium Dog View Post
Well you learn something new every day. I knew they had been breeding cockatiels in Europe since the middle of the 19th century, which is many centuries after amazons arrived on the continent. I guess I assumed that they would have been breeding amazons even earlier.
Nah.... Cockatiels breed like mice...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: