• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing colugo in peninsular Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

I'm planning a trip to peninsular Malaysia next year. I'm keen to see colugo, a species that I've never seen despite having spent about ten months in south-east Asia. A dig around the internet suggests that Langwaki is the best place to see them. Does anyone know if this is the case or there are other just as reliable spots? It's not a place that I would visit otherwise.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I saw one many years ago around the chalets of the Taman Negara resort. The most recent report I can find is of one being seen same place in 2013 (see Mammalwatching). I have even heard tales of them flying in the eaves of the restaurant in the resort! Hopefully someone might have some more up to date information.

Itchy

They are common in Singapore on the grounds of the zoo and night safari. And presumably around. They are wild animals.

Thanks. I had loads of advice on mammal watching. Singapore is a possiblity but it seems like Kuala Tahan and Bukit Fraser are pretty good if you look in the open areas, rather than rushing into the forest like I did last time, so I may rely on them.

It's quite a common species but not so easy to give nailed-on, reliable sites in Peninsular Malaysia unfortunately - I've seen them at just about every site I've visited at night, but always different spots. Fraser's Hill is quite good, but really you want to go to more open parks/botanical gardens spotlighting for them, so much easier to find in these areas as they glide across.

As Jurek mentioned, if you want to see them easily, Singapore Zoo is best. Reasonable chance in the daytime - especially as the staff often know of any sightings during the day, but also take a spotlight out at the night safari and then they are pretty straight forward. I'm there quite often and usually see them without specifically looking for them.

James

Hi Steve,
I saw several on Langkawi last year, in the grounds of the Andaman resort. I'd go as far to say they're almost unmissable as I could tell you which tree they roost in. It's not the cheapest place to stay but I also got a couple of flying squirrels as well there. PM or Facebook me if you want more info.
Stuart

Is Tiamon island a possibilty for this species? It's a family trip so I'll be spending some time doing the beach thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back