• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which ecozone is the Limithang road in Bhutan in? (1 Viewer)

At lower and middle elevations, Indomalayan biomes range from tropical and subtropical forests to temperate coniferous forests. In the northern mountainous regions, Bhutan is largely Palearctic, comprising temperate coniferous forests, montane grasslands and shrublands, and swaths without any ecozone in its highest glacial elevations.
Actually,the whole Himalayan range bordering India is considered the border of these two ecozones,with pure palearctic starting from southern China border, and Indomalayan from the terai grasslands

As it happens I just traveled Lingmethang road, and, as with much of Bhutan, its hard to classify. Which ecozone it is in might not be that helpful, ultimately. At its start, at the village of Lingmethang, it is low elevation (maybe 800 masl?) dry scrub/conifer. Being on the lee side of some serious mountains, it is at the same elevation as Dewathang (where I lived), but it feels like a different planet. Dewathang is very moist warm broadleaved forest.

The road continues all the way to Thrumsingla which is at almost 3800 masl. It has broadleaved forest, coniferous, mixed, near alpine, etc. No grasslands to speak of, no true alpine, and it isn't nearly as wet as the southern foothills, but besides that it runs the range of the country, vegetation-wise.

I'm sure that doesn't help, but thought I'd mention it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back