• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indonesian migrant species in India? (1 Viewer)

Hello birders of India!

I was wondering whether there are any species that migrate between India and the islands of Borneo and Sumatra.

Since most of our migrants in India are winter arrivals from the colder northern steppes, and most of Indonesia's seem to be similar arrivals from China/Japan, I realize that there might not be a lot, if any, that go between the tropical parts of Asia.

But I would hugely appreciate if anyone can give me links or examples of any that travel the India-Borneo or India-Sumatra route. Even if there are any that migrate from Australia over the islands.

Thanks so much!

Most birds migrate to exploit good seasonal conditions / avoid adverse conditions, so in most cases of long distance migration this tends to be north-south (or south-north) migrations. There are of course migrations, usually shorter, associated with rains / drought etc, especially in Africa but these seem to be more dispersive and unpredictable in many cases.

I can't think of any obvious examples which fit your criteria (east-west).

cheers, alan

Some seabirds like frigatebird or tern could travel along the ocean, although it is not typical bird migration.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

@jurek: That makes sense, but I should have specified that I am looking for birds that travel further inland, i.e. non-seabirds... my mistake for not being clearer!

@lewis20126 and @gemma23426: This was my fear! It makes a lot of sense that east-west migrations within the tropics would not occur, but I was hoping that there might be some species that escape the relative chill of the Indian subtropical winter or even the intense dry heat during the summer.

I wonder if anyone knows of species that migrate from further north (Iran, Afghanistan, maybe even Europe or Russia) to Indonesia and Malaysia, passing over India? Another member had mentioned the long-billed reed warbler on a different thread, but it seems to not go further than Thailand.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back