• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some American Birds for the ID and Get Stuffed Dpt. (1 Viewer)

chris baker

Hi Folks,

Recently back from Florida and I'm a little stuck.

The first I think maybe a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, it flew in it flew out no antics or song to go on I'm afraid.

No. 2 is I think, an American Redstart, there were a few of them mixed in with vireos and titmouse. Flitting around in the tops and fanning their tails. Gone as quickly as they arrived, only managed the one pic.

3and 4 are the same bird. Solitary, didn't rush around feeding, managed these 2 before more folks arrived to view a very large 'Gator nearby.

That's all there is to go on I'm afraid, so any experts out there willing to help I'd be obliged.

Thanks CB

Attachments

• 1. Flycatcher.jpg
    1. Flycatcher.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 2. Redstart.jpg
    2. Redstart.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 3. Palarope-1-maybe.jpg
    3. Palarope-1-maybe.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 140
  • 4. Phalorope-2-maybe.jpg
    4. Phalorope-2-maybe.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 154
Hi Chris,

the first one is American Redstart & the 3rd & 4th Spotted Sandpiper give me a little more time on the 2nd bird

Cheers

Alan

Alan henry said:
Hi Chris,

the first one is American Redstart & the 3rd & 4th Spotted Sandpiper give me a little more time on the 2nd bird

Agree on those. The redstart takes me back to Gibraltar point in the 80's ! Is No. 2 a Pewee ? Did it have any wing-bars ?

Thanks chaps,

Everyone in agreement and I've had a pm concurring the Eatern wood-pewee.

Thanks for your time and expertise and very quick response.

Regards

CB

Hi Chris,

Could you tell me where in Florida did you take that Sandpiper picture?

I am in Florida right now and would like to find some sandpiper and all kinds of bird but only managed to find the regular waders from the everglades. Planing to go to Ding Darling this weekend and would like to know where else to go and were you had been looks like a good place to go.

Alejandro

Hi Alejandro,
Well I hope it's still there 'cause that's where I took it ( Ding Darling ). was kind of disappointed with Ding, very few birds, wardens put this down to the recent Hurricane.
Tigertail Beach on Marco Island was fabulous as was Corkscew. The Big Cypress is shut currently due to a fallen tree. I was lucky enough to get in as I arrived just as an Audubon field trip was setting off, they invited me along. Estero Beach was good, 5 types of plover, willet, gulls various, osprey, frigate, usual egrets, pelicans, pipers various, terns etc. Park in the Hol Inn car park, walk to the beach and turn left and walk as far as you like. Go at low tide and be prepared to wade a little, this will take you onto the Estero were the majority of the birds are. We stayed at the hol Inn so it was great for me every morning. Eagle lakes Park in Naples can be good, it'll be on your right if you take the Tamaimi Trail, as is Sugden Park which will be on your left about 1.5 miles further on. If you go into Sugden turn right at the first stop sign and proceed to the end and park up. Take the only path thats there and you'll follow the lake edge, good for warblers etc. My tops if time was limited and I had to choose would be Tigertail and Corkscrew followed by Estero Beach, where of course it's free and the birds are relatively easy. Hope this helps, good luck and have a great holiday

Regards

CB

PS, Just noticed, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Last edited:
Thanks Chris for the information, it is really usefull and will help me plan better my next weekend as it would be my last weekend here in Florida.

Once again thanks a lot and have a great holidays

Alejandro

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back