Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 7th May 2004, 23:54   #1
jimk

Pawnee National Grasslands, Colorado

A great day even though I arrived late in the morning. Highlights were two Brown Thrashers in a knock-down drag-out fight clashing in midair and tumbling to the ground. Also a Swainsons hawk w/ nest. Both the McCown's and Chestnut-collared longspur. Numerous Lark Buntings and a lone Loggerhead Shrike. Still have not found the elusive Mountain Plover.....
Old Saturday 8th May 2004, 00:36   #2
Beverlybaynes
Mod Squad

Sounds like a wonderful day, Jim! I've heard good reports about Pawnee and would love to visit someday.

A report from there would be terrific for our GGBsC III -- the world-wide bird species count we're doing the last weekend in May. Being a holiday in the US, perhaps you'd have time to get out there? We'd love to have you participate and give us a report from a place like Pawnee. You can find full details on the Member's Notice Board in the post "ANNOUNCING: GGBsC III Rules and Registration." Join us, won't you?

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
--Langston Hughes

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 8th May 2004, 01:23   #3
jimk

Can't promise anything - it's a two hour drive for me. Great place to visit in the spring though. I saw 36 species today - a bit low for the area
Old Tuesday 11th May 2004, 18:53   #4
Steve Gross

The Pawnee Nat'l Grassland is one of my favorite birding spots. I usually get to pass through there on my way to Montana each summer. We got hit with a tremendous lightning storm while at Pawnee Buttes last year, so we didn't get to spend the time finding the longspurs. We were going to camp, but we wound up in the Holiday Inn in Cheyenne.

Enjoy your birds. Let us know what you're seeing.

Steve in Houston
Old Saturday 22nd May 2004, 17:32   #5
jimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gross
Enjoy your birds. Let us know what you're seeing.

Steve in Houston

Steve, here is a photo I just got back taken on this trip
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...9swainsons.jpg

Last edited by jimk : Saturday 22nd May 2004 at 17:38.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: