Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 19th May 2004, 16:32   #26
sparrowbirder

That one in Hampshire has been around for ages,nobody bothered with it until the western Isles bird turned up!!Im just amazed any American ducks get accepted,id tar them all with the same brush im afraid!!
Old Wednesday 19th May 2004, 16:37   #27
edenwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowbirder
That one in Hampshire has been around for ages,nobody bothered with it until the western Isles bird turned up!!Im just amazed any American ducks get accepted,id tar them all with the same brush im afraid!!
Glad you're not on BBRC!

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th May 2004, 22:54   #28
Lancey

No Regrets

Dear all,
I thought I'd have a look to see if there had been any further debate about the Cinnamon Teal's providence during the past week since it hass been a week to the day that I went to see it. Well, I'm pleased to see that a bird of obviously little consequence in terms of it's place on the British list has stirred up such a debate. Mind you, in my experience, the more unlikely the bird, the more talk there is about it.

Obviously I agree this species is an unlikely genuine vagrant. I didn't leave home without first having read about rejections of this species in the USA on the Internet, so I had my eyes wide open when I filled the car with petrol. However, geographically, the Western Isles are well placed for American vagrants to arrive so it adds more credibility to the bird being there than in Hampshire. As I said in my original post, I have seen three Cinnamon Teals myself, each within 20 miles of my home and most unlikely to be genuine by a long chalk.

The photos are poor admittedly, but following the birding code of conduct precluded me from climbing the fencing surrounding the loch, walking through a field of sheep with lambs and possibly blowing future visitor's chances of seeing it. I know such selflessness is unusual in today's birding environment, but that's just the kind of guy I am. The gale outside didn't help much either.

When did this bird arrive? I doubt it was the day news broke somehow. Whether this loch is well watched or not is anyone's guess but if the number of birds that I saw on it is anything to go by - I rather doubt it. In fact, I did hear it was found during a wader survey, so maybe this loch isn't watched at all regularly. If anyone knows any different I'd be interested to know.

To sum up, I personally made the decision to go based on mere probability and not certainty of a wild origin. I also did the same with such birds as Spur-Winged Plover and Ross's Goose. Waiting for certainty in birding often invites failure to see the bird anyway and since hindsight is the only exact science, I'd rather go to see the bird as soon as I can and live with the prospect of having fate step in to reveal whether the bird is wild or not.

Take the Whistling Swan near Glasgow a few years ago for example. I saw that the evening news broke only to find out later it was feeding from the hand. I had wasted my time - but at the time I had no evidence to prove the bird 'guilty' or 'innocent'. It was just one of those things. So what? Win some, lose some, that's what birding is about surely?

By the way, if that swan had appeared in a flock of wild swans at Welney I presume it would have been acceptable without any problems?

Best wishes,
Lancey
Old Thursday 20th May 2004, 23:04   #29
Edward woodwood

the only real 'certainty' for the birds quoted - bar ringed birds - is on the breeding grounds.....

the rest is just conjecture....you will never know.....

go and see it if you want...it's a reason to go to a beautiful place and who knows what else might be there.......every time i read something trying to justify a sighting like this i start yawning.....

birds and beautiful places should not be reduced to levels of 'wasted time' and 'acceptability'
Old Thursday 20th May 2004, 23:39   #30
Bluetail
Senior Moment

And now it's got a Bufflehead for a neighbour.
Sorrow's best friend and Mirth's professed foe
The chief discourser that delights sad Care.
O come, poor owl, and tell thy woes to me.
Which having heard, I'll do the like for thee.

(Anon c.1607)

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th May 2004, 23:54   #31
Rob Smallwood

And when you've finished with the Bufflehead can we have it back?! Either that or send it on its way to Finland to join the Hooded Merganser there!!

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st May 2004, 00:27   #32
Jane Turner

Perhaps there was a great escape style break out from Martin Mere.... the Bufflehead went 180 degrees in the wrong direction initially, realised its mistake on finding itself on a peat workings in Manchester and corrected... the Hooded Merg just had a dodgy compass :)

Last Cheshire Surf Scoter (310) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden Great White Egret (208), last Self-found Citrine Wagtail (294)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st May 2004, 14:50   #33
tony.hetheringt

Hi Jane,
The Bufflehead carried on east for a bit ,because he visited Wakefield before disappearing.As this one has now not been seen in the area am I presumptious in assuming that the northern bird is the same one and is now on its normal south- north migration route, albeit on the wrong side of the Atlantic?
Regards Tony
Old Friday 21st May 2004, 14:59   #34
Edward woodwood

am I presumptious in assuming that the northern bird is the same one and is now on its normal south- north migration route, albeit on the wrong side of the Atlantic?

yep Tony
that's presumptious alright

who knows where it is........
Old Friday 21st May 2004, 15:01   #35
tom mckinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
who knows where it is........

Back in its pen at Martin Mere?
Old Friday 21st May 2004, 15:04   #36
Edward woodwood

Easy tiger
Old Friday 21st May 2004, 16:05   #37
Rob Smallwood

Quote:
The Bufflehead carried on east for a bit ,because he visited Wakefield before disappearing
I think Jane's directions were from Martin Mere continuing the "Great Escape" theme hence her "wrong" direction comment.

Jane - if there had been a Great Escape wouldn't we have heard the shots from the recaptured birds?!

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st May 2004, 16:10   #38
tom mckinney

The Teal isn't there today!

Nor the Bufflehead.

Nor the Harlequin.

Maybe the owners trial period has run out and they've been posted back to Petworld?
Old Tuesday 25th May 2004, 00:02   #39
Birdspotter

We thank all those twitchers who put their hard earned money into the local economy.
Requests please for our next release.
Old Tuesday 25th May 2004, 08:23   #40
Jane Turner

Did I see there was a Bufflehead back in the midlands..?

Last Cheshire Surf Scoter (310) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden Great White Egret (208), last Self-found Citrine Wagtail (294)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th May 2004, 09:17   #41
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening

Apparently no sign of the Staffordshire Bufflehead this morning. But there is a Red-crested Pochard at the same site. Better get those cages sorted out

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 29th May 2004, 14:13   #42
tom mckinney

Isn't it strange how certain things don't get mentioned? For example...

...a Bufflehead flew past South Uist and may have been the one that later turned up on Lewis.
...there has been an exceptional number of rare yank ducks on the Western Isles this winter.
...the Loch where the Teal is also held a Green Winged Teal.

However I found out recently that 2 days before the Cinn Teal turned up a Mandarin arrived on Barra.

Strange how that never got mentioned alongside all the "supporting" evidence.
Old Saturday 29th May 2004, 23:10   #43
Birdspotter

[quote=tom mckinney]
However I found out recently that 2 days before the Cinn Teal turned up a Mandarin arrived on Barra.

A MANDARIN ON BARRA !!!! i NEED IT FOR MY BARRA LIST.
GET ME TO THE AIRPORT.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: