Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 26th May 2004, 16:35   #1
svetzool

Sliven, Bulgaria

Hi all,
My latest experience was near the town of Sliven, Bulgaria. The region around the town holds one of the densest populations of Sousliks. You can just sit somewhere and enjoy the behavior of the sousliks, how they communicate etc., when you get tired of this just look at the sky. For sure there will be a raptor. My latest experience was getting a gripping view of 7 Eastern Imperial Eagles. Later, I observed from a close distance how an Imperial chased a Peregrine Falcon and succeeded to take its pray ( some kind of rodent). I also observed Long-legged Buzzards in the area and on the top of everything I had the unique luck of spotting a Marbled Polecat chasing and capturing one poor Souslik. If there is life after death I don't want to become a souslik :)
Old Wednesday 26th May 2004, 16:37   #2
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Sorry for my ignorance, svetzool, but what is a souslik? I'll keep my eyes open for them in September during my visit to your country.
Old Wednesday 26th May 2004, 16:53   #3
Steve G
RAINBIRDER

I think Sousliks are a smallish ground-squirrel, a sort of eurasian Prairie-dog. Their chief function is as "fast-food" for Eastern Imperial & Steppe Eagles & especially Saker.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th May 2004, 17:00   #4
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Righto, thanks Steve. Found them on 'Google'.
Old Thursday 27th May 2004, 13:30   #5
Michael Frankis
conehead

But if you are a Souslik, then there's life after death for certain - as an Imperial Eagle, and that's much better!

Steve - they're more like a Chipmunk, than a Prarie-dog (they're much bigger, as big as a Rabbit, but related to Marmots)

Michael
Old Monday 31st May 2004, 06:19   #6
svetzool

Sousliks are like ground squirrel, they have the size of a rat, live in burrows and hybernate during the winter. The are related to marmots. Chris if you are near Sliven the chances of seeing them is about 99.9%.
Old Monday 31st May 2004, 11:48   #7
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

We are just back from a birding trip to Bulgaria - only saw one live Souslik though, near Lake Durankulak. One dead on a road too. 217 species of birds in 14 days was good for Europe, and we were too late for much in the way of migration.

A great country for birding, and very generous people: my wife and I came back with three bottles of rakia (local brandy), a bottle of wine, two varieties of the local tobacco, crochet work, cookery books, maps, butterfly guides, herbs, and even a big lump of sea-salt, all given to us as gifts during our trip.

Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: