• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Driftwood Sculptures of Animals (1 Viewer)

Agree absolutely Kathy. Its amazing what can be achieved from driftwood, artistic expertise and imagination. Just wonderful.

Very interesting Kathy.

I love small wooden sculptures and driftwood. Fascinating to think of where it came from (in both a geograhical and natural sense) and how it has been shaped. Wildwood, A Journey Through Trees by Roger Deakin has some good bits in it about driftwood which includes info on an elderly lady living on the coast who collected and made artefacts from driftwood. I wrote a little bit myself on another forum. I see Roger Deakin (deceased) has a new book out which which I must lay my hands on.

Last edited:
Thank you very much everyone, I am glad you like them.

I wonder how much they would cost to buy. ;)

A 17 hh driftwood horse is quite big. ;)

Very interesting Kathy.

I love small wooden sculptures and driftwood. Fascinating to think of where it came from (in both a geograhical and natural sense) and how it has been shaped. Wildwood, A Journey Through Trees by Roger Deakin has some good bits in it about driftwood which includes info on an elderly lady living on the coast who collected and made artefacts from driftwood. I wrote a little bit myself on another forum. I see Roger Deakin (deceased) has a new book out which which I must lay my hands on.

Hi Brian

What an interesting reply Brian. Do you make or collect anything yourself Brian.

Driftwood is a fascinating thing to see as artwork. Great to paint too.

Love to know more about Roger Deakins book :-O

Hi Brian

What an interesting reply Brian. Do you make or collect anything yourself Brian.

Driftwood is a fascinating thing to see as artwork. Great to paint too.

Love to know more about Roger Deakins book :-O

Thanks Kathy.

As you may have guessed I tend to collect all sorts of natural bits and pieces.;) I do have one or two pieces of wood. I have a couple of pieces of Laburnam in the shape of toadstools which I purchased on a visit to Iona. To be honest I prefer the look and feel of natural driftwood and these are varnished, but they do have great sentimental value to me. The little piece I wrote was about a bit of driftwood I picked up on Mull during the same trip. It may be a bit long to put on here. You may well have seen it on the other channel!

Roger Deakin's book, Wildwood, is basically a personal journey of his, starting from his early years and initially focussing upon someone wo inspired his interest in nature. In short the book is about trees, (I collect books too;)) but all aspects of trees, and it looks at the importance of such, and how they have been used and how they effect us all. Roger visits a number of areas in both the UK and around the world. It's a good read and very poignant as Roger died soon after he finished the book. I am certainly looking forward to this new one of his. It was reviewed in the Sunday Times last week, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

I've just added a photo of a piece of Oak cork that I picked up in Extremadura, Spain Kathy. Not exactly driftwood but very interesting, and I know you won't mind me posting it in your thread. The cork bark is stripped off the trees every few years and then allowed to grow again. Like lots of things in this world today the areas where the trees grow have been under some threat. That's why I try to avoid wine bottles with those awful screw tops!o:D Now a glass of red wine in Extremadura is a wonderful way to spend an evening after a days birding or for that matter even if you haven't been birding.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_9905.JPG
    IMG_9905.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 15
I saw the sculptures in the paper today and immediately wanted one. Why is the artist not up for consideration for the Turner prize? The lady has a great eye and an obvious feeling for horses.

Brian, from memory the cycle with cork oaks is roughly 10 years, and like you I only buy wine with natural cork stoppers. If we don't support the cork growers then a huge amount of wildlife is going to be adversely effected as there won't be any profit for the growers to keep the oak groves.

Yes, She is a brilliant artist. I have seen her driftwood sculptures of horses at The Eden Project & Saltram House.
If I had known she was hosting an open house in September, I would have got someone to take me there. She doesn't live far from me.
I hope she holds an open house next year.

http://www.jansch.freeserve.co.uk/

It seems to me, Brian, that you have to be quirky to be nominated or to win a Turner prize, it doesn't seem to matter if you are a rubbish artist. That is my oppinion anyway.

Last edited:
I saw the sculptures in the paper today and immediately wanted one. Why is the artist not up for consideration for the Turner prize? The lady has a great eye and an obvious feeling for horses.

Brian, from memory the cycle with cork oaks is roughly 10 years, and like you I only buy wine with natural cork stoppers. If we don't support the cork growers then a huge amount of wildlife is going to be adversely effected as there won't be any profit for the growers to keep the oak groves.

I seem to remember that the RSPB ran some kind of campaign regarding the cork trees some years ago Keith.

Hi Kathy

The new book from Roger Deakin is called, Notes from Walnut Tree Farm. It is available on Amazon at £12. It seems to be comprised of his notes of his thoughts and sightings through a year. Sounds good to me. Sounds like the type of book I might like to receive as a Christmas present! ;-)

Hi Kathy

The new book from Roger Deakin is called, Notes from Walnut Tree Farm. It is available on Amazon at £12. It seems to be comprised of his notes of his thoughts and sightings through a year. Sounds good to me. Sounds like the type of book I might like to receive as a Christmas present! ;-)

hi Brian

Thank you for the book details. Looks good from here. :t:

I will look into it and yes Xmas is near so it would make a perfect Xmas present.

Will mention it to the OH.

After talk of cork on this thread I thought some of you may be interested to know that there is a programme on BBC 2 this evening highlighting what will be lost if cork stoppers are replaced with plastic or screwtops.

Cork - Forest in a Bottle.........09 Dec 2008, 20:00 on BBC Two (except Wales)

Oh interesting, Pam. I shall try to remember to watch. OH is in the wine industry and he has said for some years now that the quality of cork has fallen which is why producers are turning to screw cap closures which are now found on expensive bottles of wine. Thanks for the heads up, Pam.

After talk of cork on this thread I thought some of you may be interested to know that there is a programme on BBC 2 this evening highlighting what will be lost if cork stoppers are replaced with plastic or screwtops.

Cork - Forest in a Bottle.........09 Dec 2008, 20:00 on BBC Two (except Wales)

Thanks Pam. I saw this advertised in the Sunday paper, but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. It's filmed in Portugal so that is an added plus for you. Look out for Jose!;)

Kits...That's interesting about the quality of the cork falling. Do we know why?

Thank you Pam for letting us know about stated program on tonight. o:)

Will be watching tonight :t:

Thanks Pam. I saw this advertised in the Sunday paper, but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. It's filmed in Portugal so that is an added plus for you. Look out for Jose!;)

Kits...That's interesting about the quality of the cork falling. Do we know why?

My pleasure to highlight the programme for you Kits, Brian and kathy!:t:

It is an added plus for me being filmed in Portugal, Brian. A country close to my heart. The Alentejo region is one of the areas on my 'to visit' list, hopefully on my next holiday in Portugal. I think a guide may be needed for that area to get the most out of it though. I wonder if Sir Cliff will be mentioned on the programme, it would be interesting to hear if he uses cork or plastic! If he uses plastic I will not buy any more of his albums!o:D

Oh, yes, I will look out for Jose!;):-O

Here is the link about the contents of the programme.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g34qr

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back