• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Body or lens again. 60D/7D vs 300mm F4 IS L (1 Viewer)

OGW

I have this setup today, EOS 400D, 24 mm F2.8, 50mm 1.4, 100 mm F2.8 Macro L (all canon) and Sigma 150-500 F4.5-5.6

So, I need better iso capabilities (I live in Northern Norway, it is dark during winter) and IQ (both are the same thing, really). A bonus with upgrade is also better viewfinder (I am guessing that new ones is better than my 400Ds anyhow).

So, the dilemma (spelling?) is my tele-lens, the Sigma. It is not quite good enough particular in low light but can do good stuff (see attached photo)

So what do I do? Go the always recommended lens way or a better body?
Thanks in advance folks.

Attachments

• Roller.jpg
    Roller.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 183
Might not have everyone agree with me, but perhaps both camera and lens need upgrading with your poor light problems.

Not about to make definite recommendations, far more knowledgeable people on here for that, but possibly try something like a 60D first and see if your lens then appears ok.

If not then look at what is available and what you can afford in the new lens area, the newer cameras certainly seem to have much better high iso capability so that could help a lot

(by the way spot on with dilemma)

With the 7d haveing almost twice the MPs compared to the 400d you almost gain a 2xtc regarding cropping also better noise control too .
So the 7d with a 300f4 would just about give you the same MPs size image as the 400d and sigma at the 500mm end if both setups were side by side .
Rob.

With the 7d haveing almost twice the MPs compared to the 400d you almost gain a 2xtc regarding cropping also better noise control too .
So the 7d with a 300f4 would just about give you the same MPs size image as the 400d and sigma at the 500mm end if both setups were side by side .
Rob.

I havent thought about it like that before, thanks for that. This is indeed what I aim for eventually, but with the stock situation now with 7D (mostly out of stock) I may just get the 300 now. But thanks again for a very interesting thought...

OGW

I would go with a better camera first (either the 550D, 60D or 7D as they all have the same great high ISO capabilities).

In the future you could also change the lens but I would upgrade the 400D first.

The 300mm is too short so you will end up using it with an 1.4x TC and make it f5.6 thus only giving you only an 1/3 stop advantage over the Sigma.

That's not quite the way it works, is it? Isn't the increase in magnification linear (as opposed to the squared increase in pixel count)? In that case the extra resolution of the 7D compared to the 400D is more like adding a 1.4tc to the latter (a little less actually).

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back