• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colonel Boris' stupid question corner... (1 Viewer)

watcha Colonel

afraid they aint

they're Sturnids (Sturnidae)

other members of the family are starlings, oxpeckers and mynas. The Mockingbirds and Catbirds do form their own tribe though - the mimini

colonelboris said:
Go on, I'll start (damned by my own tagline...)

Are catbirds and mocking birds types of thrush? :eat:

No. They are members of the family Mimidae. Though I believe they are not too distantly related.

My answer came late, and the information is out of date, it seems.

I must buy an up-to-date book on American birds!

Really? That's surprising, I mean look at how similar these two look...

18525DSCF4817.jpg

and
6760Blackbird_female_at_Golden_Acre-med.jpg

That's very interesting, that.
Thanks!

Ok, I'm off for a week (hopefully I'll get some birding in...) so here's a few to chew on while I'm away...

1: If the long-tailed tit is not a real tit, what other birds are in its family?
2: Why is bearded tit/reedling not placed with other babblers in many bird books?
3: Are wrens closely related to thrushes?
4: Do all species of cuckoo lay eggs in some other poor bird's nest?
5: Is it reasonable to call a tern a 'seagull GTI' (only kidding).

Feel free to add any other questions, anyone...

Thanks!

colonelboris said:
Ok, I'm off for a week (hopefully I'll get some birding in...) so here's a few to chew on while I'm away...

1: If the long-tailed tit is not a real tit, what other birds are in its family?
2: Why is bearded tit/reedling not placed with other babblers in many bird books?
3: Are wrens closely related to thrushes?
4: Do all species of cuckoo lay eggs in some other poor bird's nest?
5: Is it reasonable to call a tern a 'seagull GTI' (only kidding).
(1) Not totally cleared yet (many Asian Aegithalos tits and the American Bushtit), but apparently the very cool Asian Tit-Warblers (Leptopoecile) and Cettia assemblage (which should be in its own family because of the number of tail feathers) are closely related.
(2) Because field guides are not taxonomic handbooks, no one knew exactly what it was, placed it with parrotbills (often placed with timaliids, but not always)... Recent evidence shows it's in the "warbler superfamily" but not related to anything really.
(3) No (thrushes are related to flycatchers, dippers and starlings; wrens to warblers etc).
(4) No: e.g. many American Cuckoos do not. Very interesting scope of breeding behaviours in the cuckoo family.
(5) The word seagull is forbidden.

No, leaving the Mimidae as a separate family is not very elegant.
According to Zuccon, Cibois, Pasquet & Ericson, "Nuclear and mitochondrial sequence data reveal the major lineages of starlings, mynas and related taxa", Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution (in press), the Starlings (Sturnidae) are best treated as one family including Oxpeckers and Mockingbirds. The evidence of treating both as separate families is quite weak (but oxpeckers could be). The formerly enigmatic Philippine Creepers (Rhabdornis) are even "true starlings"!

Sibley and Monroe's DNA-DNA hybridisation work

or try Xenospiza's reference above

not all authorities originally went with S and M - the change was too drastic for most. E.g. New World Vultures closely related to Storks for example. OBC did and BirdLife too. Not all their work has met with universal approval but see above for most recent work on Sturnids

I never wait for enlightenment, i go out and find it.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back