• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good telephoto lens(500MM) for Canon 1200D (5 Viewers)

himbird

IndianBirdy
Hello All,

Is there any telephoto (500MM) lens which can be recommended for canon 1200D for $500?

Right now I am using default canon lens(250mm)

Thank you once again!
Sudhir

I had searched a "budget" solution myself, for my 450D. Finally I settled for older, used glass:
Sigma APO Tele Macro (or telemacro) 400mm, used for Euro 90.
Kenko DG MC 1,5 Converter, used for ca. Euro 100.

There are various versions of the Sigma 400mm Apo Macro, mine has the 77mm filter thread, not re-chipped. So it is limited, I have to shoot the lens wide open in AV mode. Combined with the teleconverter above AF is slow, so for birds in flight it isn't ideal. Ducks are possible, for dippers I have to reach for another camera.

Edit. Four sample photos from my Sigma 400 +TC set-up described above, perhaps they can tell you what to expect in terms of IQ or bokeh. Some perhaps a little oversharpened. The fifth photo is awful, just to illustrate that BIF is a pain with slow equipment. For the sake of comparison, a better BIF from my new favourite (Nikon V2).

Attachments

• Dipp2.jpg
    Dipp2.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Dipp3.jpg
    Dipp3.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Dipp4.jpg
    Dipp4.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Dipp6.jpg
    Dipp6.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Dipp5.jpg
    Dipp5.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
As HermitInis mentioned the old Sigma 400 F5.6 is well worth a look, but I doubt they will auto focus on your 1200D. However always try the lens first! A while back I tried out an old Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO which the guy in the shop guaranteed would not AF on my (then) 5D and would not allow aperture control. Well it worked very and was fully functional on a friends 1D Mk3 as well! So if you can find a Sigma 400 F5.6 try it, you never know.....

Well over your budget, but if you can wait a bit and save a bit more, then I would point you at a second hand Canon 400 F5.6L - an excellent birding lens. Others too look at are the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses. Again a bit more than you want to spend but they are both very workable lenses that are not silly money - especially second hand.

If your interest is birds in flight then just save and get a used Canon 400 F5.6 L. Unless you spend a LOT more you won't get a better lens for this purpose.

Just my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back