• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Food for UK garden birds (1 Viewer)

Manix

I have no idea what I'm doing
Hi, very new to this.

I have a well placed tree outside my window which is often frequented by tits and other such garden birds.

What would you recommend as food that I can use to encourage garden birds into the garden and tree. We have pigeons and squirrels as well, which always seemed to be an issue in my parents' garden.

Thanks for any advice,
M

I've found black sunflower seeds or hearts to be preferred by most UK garden birds - to the extent they will chuck out other seeds in a 'mix' to get to them, leaving a lot on the ground that can attract squirrels and pigeons. No problem with the pigeons/doves/others for me, but those immigrant grey tree-rats need to be discouraged :).

A squirrel-proof feeder (I have a seed feeder with a cage around) is essential hereabouts.

Mick

If you want to cut down on the amount of bits that will drop on the ground under the feeder and cage, one solution might be to use a plant pot tray. If you can find a plastic one that will fit on the base of the cage and drill a few small holes in for drainage, it will collect bits and droppings and be easy to clean regularly. It works for me and limits the bits available to pigeons etc.

I feed mixed seed, peanuts, fat balls, niger seeds in the feeders and also chopped apples and grapes on the ground. I have wood pigeons and squirrels too. Most of my feeders have cages around them to stop the squirrels and much larger birds such as rooks and jackdaws. They tend to hoover up what is spilled on the ground.

Food and Feeders

Hi M I seem to only use sunflower hearts as I dont like the cheap bags of mixed seed you can get from pound shops. I pay the little bit extra but worth it as none goes to waste and all garden birds seem to enjoy sunflower hearts.:t:

Another vote for sunflower hearts from me. I also put out fat balls and peanuts. There is very little mess. All my feeders are in cages to keep out the grey squirrels and corvids.

Food for feeders

Hi

Live on the edge of Edinburgh in Balerno

Sunflower seed is taken by all - goldfinch, all types of tits and sometimes siskin and redpoll. Also all types of sparrow. This is the preferred food

Niger was used by goldfinch (only when no sunflower left) and siskin when they are around

Fat ball is mainly starling but also tits. once woodpecker and LTT's once or twice

Sunflower is the way to go - expensive but worth it

Enjoy your feeder!

Stuart R

food

We feed a good quality seed mix in one feeder snflower hearts in one and sunflower in husk in another all very popular, also meal worms loose fed , expensive guess but lots of birds love them as a treat, we get pied and grey wagtails down every day for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back