• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo (1 Viewer)

almepal

I have been trying to contact paramo for the last week via e-mail as I am at work during their office hours so cant ring. Numerous emails later still no replies, how unprofessional of a large company. Maybe not to surprising as I am only one in thousands, or do you know better?
Anyone else had trouble with this company? I really like the look of their clothing but if this is how they treat people even before they buy how difficult are they to get an answer from once they have your money.
Please let everyone know of your dealings with them
Thanks

Well according to their website, you're to contact them via this form, rather than by email - is that what you're doing?

I know that they've got an [email protected] email addy on their website, but it might be significant that they don't actually mention its use on the Contact Us page.

I'd try by their preferred contact routes first.

Why give them the thumbs down before trying other methods to contact them - I have only good things to say on their products. I hope you resolve your contact problems and can then give them a thumbs up.

Many of these companies have strong SPAM filters ,and emails can easily go to the damp,thats why they use specific contact links...they even seem to offer a catalog request link.
good luck

paramo

Hi everyone thanks for your replies, I did use their form as you all suggest.
They have finally replied today stating they have had restructering issues, howver their reply wasnt very good telling me to use their link to www.naturallyparamo.co.uk that doesnt work neither from the email link they gave me nor from their website. Oh dear!!!
Maybe I should try another company all together.
Or can someone else help me? I have tried their Cascada jacket which fits nice with just a Tshirt and sweatshirt underneath but I was wondering if I would be better with a larger size so as to allow me to wear a fleece under it to.
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks All

I've had a Cascada jacket for some years. The medium is a little large on me and it can take their thin Taiga fleece (the latest version is super thin compared to standard fleeces and worth its weight on its own) no problem, with t-shirt, short and fleece sweater below that. But . . . you need a very cold winter to need all that! The Cascada is a very warm jacket on its own and just a couple of thinner layers such as t-shirt and fleece sweatshirt should be OK.

I should have also said that I have nothing but very high praise for both Parama the company and their garments. I have quite a few and their repair under warranty system is excellent. I've twice sent garments back (Taiga fleece and Parajo jacket) for minor repairs and both came back with additional repairs and completely retreated. Superb customer care.

I really like my Paramo stuff too, but they do have some strange sizing ideas in my experience, so - more than with most clothing companies - I really recommend "try before you buy".

Thats an excellent point Keith. Take what you normally wear under your outer jacket and try it on under the Paramo of your choice. if your budget stretches to it, then you might want to think about trying the Taiga fleece instead of your own fleece under the outer shell. I'm on my third Taiga fleece cos I wear it that much - it is by far my no. 1 birding garment and is worn either on its own when dry or under my Pajaro when its wet (although it sheds water pretty well on its own and is of course windproof).

Whilst the Cascada is a great jacket, I replaced it some time ago with the Pajaro which is an even better jacket, doesn't have the length of the Cascada though which is what almepal might be looking for, but has much better (and more) pockets and underarm vents.

I'm on my third Taiga fleece cos I wear it that much
I'm sitting here right now in my Explorer pull-on with Cambia long-sleeved tee underneath - my standard "change into" clothes when I get in from work!

When I'm out and about, I practically live in my Moss Fuera windproof smock - best general use (as opposed to fully waterproof) jacket I've ever owned.

Last edited:
For the Highland winter I find nothing better than the Paramo gear for my top half. All weathers, temps down to minus 20, when my drinks have frozen in my pac and I'm still toasty. Even lying in the snow for over an hour I am okay.

I can't comment on the legwear.

I use the Cascada trousers and they're every bit as good as jackets - just dont wear too much underneath unless its seriously cold - they are warm!

I like the idea of one pants does all and not having to carry a pair of waterproof pants in my rucksack. I am considering Paramo Cascada but I have read so many divergent reviews and comments, I am a little unsure. It seems people either love or hate Paramo.

If I wear Paramo Cascada trousers on a very wet day’s walking and they do exactly as they say on the tin and keep me bone dry, can I sit straight into my car at end without getting a wet bum or do I have to undergo an undignified change of pants in the carpark?

I like the idea of one pants does all and not having to carry a pair of waterproof pants in my rucksack. I am considering Paramo Cascada but I have read so many divergent reviews and comments, I am a little unsure. It seems people either love or hate Paramo.

If I wear Paramo Cascada trousers on a very wet day’s walking and they do exactly as they say on the tin and keep me bone dry, can I sit straight into my car at end without getting a wet bum or do I have to undergo an undignified change of pants in the carpark?

In my experience - yes - but you'll get a wet seat!

No and yes. If you sit for long enough, and the seat of the Cascada trousers are very wet, then this will simply 'push' the water through to your backside. Just try kneeling on wet ground in Cascada trousers for any length of time, water eventually comes through. This is because of how Paramo waterproofs work, the micro-climate under and within the jacket pushes the rain water away at the same time as pushing/whicking moisture away form your body. When you stop moving this slows the process down. But it isnt usually the seat of your trousers which are wet - its the legs (on a wet day I expect the seat of your trousers to be covered by the length of your jacket) so you shouldn't be sitting on a wet trouser seat for this to take effect.

Another single waterproof trouser to look at is the Rohan Dry Requisite trousers. They work on a similar principle to Paramo in their 'pushing' the rain water away. They are thinner, cooler and lighter. I wear these all the time during wet weather (like today) and they're great. I drive in them without a problem (as I say above, as the legs get wet not the seat). Between these and my Cascadas I have two pairs of waterproof trousers which dont require any 'normal' trousers beneath them, for the whole year.

John & Steve,

Thanks for the replies. I’ve just ordered a pair of Cascadas as many shops don’t seem to stock them over the summer. I had to buy while I could still find my size.

Steve,

The Rohan Dry Requisite trousers look interesting. Their website says

“Washing the trousers is simple – just throw them in the machine and hang them out. They’ll dry overnight – and they’ll still be waterproof. They require absolutely no special care whatsoever.”

Is this correct? They sound a lot less fussy than Paramo and that appeals to me. Can they be washed in any detergent?

Which would you rate the more waterproof – the Cascadas or the Rohans?

I washed mine using NixWax Techwash with another garment, but since the website nor the care label says otherwise, then I guess you can use any detergent OK. I then hung them out to dry for a couple of hours, got the dripping stay out of the way and the lining started to dry out, then I cool ironed them (the care label on the trousers says cool iron or cool tumble to restore waterproofing). But they are great. They probably rank as one of my top five clothing purchases of recent years and an absolute must from now on!

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I'll consider them if the Cascadas are too warm for summer walking. You didn't mention which you consider the more waterproof.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back