• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peculiar 7x50 (1 Viewer)

looksharp65

Sweden
Hi all,

a local auction site lists a Nikon 7x50 7.3° that I don't recognise from anywhere.
It has center focus, leatherette covering, folding rubber eyecups similar to the E II's and purple coatings. Ocular diameter seems wide and the ocular lenses are quite large. The binocular has the older, non-slanted logo, 7x 50 7.3°

The end cap to the central hinge says Nikon 18xxxx Japan and has a red ring just like the Tropical 7x50! But the body is not as chunky as the Tropical's.
The metal rings on the objectives also don't have golden or red rings.
The focus knob is quite narrow with big grooves, white indexes, 0, + and -

The case is of the hard, square black faux (?) leather type with the new Nikon logotype and a spring-loaded clasp.

To me it looks like a hybrid of an older 7x50 housing and the oculars and bridge from the E series.
Did this binocular come from Nikon with this design or is it the result of a remake or repair?

The seller asks £85 for it and it appears to be in good condition.
Looking forward to your replies! :t:

//L

It's a real Nikon binocular from the 1980's. As you've observed it's very similar to the E series in optics and construction, but for some reason it wasn't included in the E series proper. £85 sounds good to me.

Thanks Henry! If it has the E series' oculars but only 7.3° FOV, I guess they are stopped down and that the edge sharpness must be very good?

//L

Lars,

The ocular is probably a similar 3 element design to the one in the 7x35 E, but with a longer focal length (not the 5 element WF design used in the 8x30 and 10x35 E). The edge sharpness on most of these old 7x50s is pretty decent in daylight because the eyepiece effectively sees a very slow objective.

Henry

Last edited:
Lars,

The ocular is probably a similar 3 element design to the one in the 7x35 E, but with a longer focal length (not the 5 element WF design used in the 8x30 and 10x35 E). The edge sharpness on most of these old 7x50s is pretty decent in daylight because the eyepiece effectively sees a very slow objective.

Henry

Thanks again, Henry! You rock! :t:

//L

Hello!

I am new in BirdForum and have hight interest in binoculars.

Lars, I join to Henry's comments. The binoculars you found is an original and also very good Nikon model. I also found and bougth a similar pair in Madrid and it is perhaps the best item in my collection The official name is 'Nikon 7x50 CF HP" (central focus, high eyepoint). I also have the Tropical model 'Nikon 7x50 IF HP WP Tropical' and it is my impression that both models are optically identical. Two Nikon juwels.

Here a review of the Tropical written by me.

https://sites.google.com/site/rchamon/home/review-of-nikon-7x50-if-hp-wp-tropical

Glad to be in BirdForum
Rafael

I meant to post this earlier, but it slipped my mind. Here's a page from a 1985 Nikon catalogue showing the 7x50 offerings at that time.

Attachments

• DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 377
For reasons I abstained, but it sold to a happy buyer for £50 :eek!:
"Cry not over milk spilled" as the Swedish proverb says. Next time it's my turn.

//L

Lars, an interesting alternative to the Nikon 7x50 you found is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKON-nat...121315700047?pt=Binocular&hash=item1c3efaad4f

In a comparison with the 7x50, the constructive materials are not so good (this series were the basic line at that time) but its performance is excellent. They are smaller in size, therefore more handy, and the mechanics is very robust, with no play in the objectives bridge. I posses one pair and am wery pleased with them. The visual field is about 65º, very sharp and contrastful.

Kind regards
Rafael

This sounds like the Lookout model I own.
Not great performer but quite usable.
I think in the States they go by another name.

Just a note, Nikon made special Tropical 7x50's for the USMC Force Recon Companies starting the middle 1960's.
I personally purchased a pair that I used during my US .gov sponsored tour of Southeast Asia, they were stolen and I purchased a latter production pair (improved optics) that I used for survelilance (can't spell today) until I could purchase a pair of Leica 7x42's.
They held up well and provided for the day a very good view.
Art

A few week ago I purchased a pair of Nikon 7x50 7.3 'CF HP' binoculars. The optics are very very good but the ergonomics are not so great.

Image wise, the glasses are sharp to 80%, CA free, control flair exceptionally well, and provide an easy, sharp view.

The eye cups are terrible, the bin is VERY heavy, and the close focus is 20'.

The leather case is labeled 'CF HP.'

My questions is this, how do the E series (not the EII or SE) stack up against the CH HP or tropical?

Last edited:
A few week ago I purchased a pair of Nikon 7x50 7.3 'CF HP' binoculars. The optics are very very good but the ergonomics are not so great.

Image wise, the glasses are sharp to 80%, CA free, control flair exceptionally well, and provide an easy, sharp view.

The eye cups are terrible, the bin is VERY heavy, and the close focus is 20'.

The leather case is labeled 'CF HP.'

My questions is this, how do the E series (not the EII or SE) stack up against the CH HP or tropical?

Hello: both are optically and mechanically very good. Main differences are:

The 7x50 is a big instrument with a stable and moderate field of view, very pleasurable to handle, though heavy to transport.

The 8x30 is agenerak-pourpose, small instrument (perhaps too small for big hands), having a really wide angle of view. Some little blackouts are present.

Cheers
Rafael

Hello: both are optically and mechanically very good. Main differences are:

The 7x50 is a big instrument with a stable and moderate field of view, very pleasurable to handle, though heavy to transport.

The 8x30 is agenerak-pourpose, small instrument (perhaps too small for big hands), having a really wide angle of view. Some little blackouts are present.

Cheers
Rafael

Rafael!!! I have been trying to reach you for weeks . . . make that months! Have you changed emails? PLEASE write me at

wjc1111'at'hotmail.com.

I just lucked out and saw your name in passing!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back