• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x50 vs 10x42 question (1 Viewer)

You have gotten me thinking, maybe I just need to pony up and get a high end model. Given the rave reviews and obvious low light performance, a good value appears to be the discontinued zeiss fl 8x42 series. The ht's are intriguing too. Maybe a way to get lighter binocs with similar light gathering as the el 10x50s

FL is a great instrument and I would not be disappointed to have one (I have an 8x32 FL) but I would take HT every time.

Lee

You have gotten me thinking, maybe I just need to pony up and get a high end model. Given the rave reviews and obvious low light performance, a good value appears to be the discontinued zeiss fl 8x42 series. The ht's are intriguing too. Maybe a way to get lighter binocs with similar light gathering as the el 10x50s

A bin with a larger exit pupil will most likely be more comfortable in low light.
How large EP you need depends on your pupils ability to dilate and the light levels you will be using the bins in.
Personally I prefer 6mm+ EP in low light and my 7x42 FL is the most used when the light is low.

Due to the weight a 50mm bin will never be on my list for walking around usage and 10x is not stable enough in my hands + the FOV is too small.
For more stationary/tripod use in low light a 10x54/56 would of course be more useful.

Bins I would check out are:

Zeiss 7x42 FL (AK prism, 93% transmission)
Leica 7x42 UV HD Plus. (HT-glass, SP prisms, the 10x50 have 92% transmission according to some info)
Zeiss 8x42 FL (AK prism, 92% transmission)
Zeiss 8x42 HT (HT-glass, AK-prisms, 95% transmission)

The FL:s can be found used for a reasonable price.

If you really need 10x mag I recommend stepping up to at least 50mm.

Last edited:
You may be able to find an optician or optometrist to measure your pupil in very low light, worth the cost perhaps before pulling the trigger on a high end optic or in the field.

Best wishes,

A bin with a larger exit pupil will be more comfortable in low light.
How large EP you need depends on your pupils ability to dilate and the light levels you will be using the bins in. Personally I prefer 6 mm EP in low light. Due to the weight a 50mm bin will never be on my list for walking around usage and 10x is not stable enough in my hands and the FOV is too small. For more stationary/tripod use in low light a 10x54/56 would of course be more useful.

Bins I would check out are:

Zeiss 7x42 FL (AK prism, 93% transmission)
Zeiss 8x42 FL (AK prism, 92% transmission)
Zeiss 8x42 HT (HT-glass, AK-prisms, 95% transmission)
Leica 7x42 UV HD Plus. (HT-glass, SP prisms, the 10x50 have 92% transmission according to some info)

If you really need 10x mag I recommend stepping up to at least 50mm.
We have never had it so good. I have been looking through binoculars since the 1970s some real crap and some real gems Zeiss 10x40 BGs was the pair we all wanted. A real birders must have :smoke:

Here is an Ebay auction on a Swarovski 10x50 SV. It has 6 days and 12 hours left. Also, here is a Buy it Now on a Zeiss 8x42 FL with Best Offer @ $1100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Swarovs...n-Lightweight-Binoculars-35010-/151923029356?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-Victo...501425?hash=item3ab9836db1:g:pRcAAOSw1S9Wc2th

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back