• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Kruger, ZA, glossy starlings (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi All,
hope for some help here. I have 1 down as a probably Burchell's Starling (dark eye) and the same for 4-5 (same bird in those two images). No 2 has much longer tail? And 3 I think contain Cape Glossy Starling.

Thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Glo Starling 1 P1010938.jpg
    Glo Starling 1 P1010938.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 52
  • Glo Starling 2 P1020117.jpg
    Glo Starling 2 P1020117.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Glo Starling 3 P1020359.JPG
    Glo Starling 3 P1020359.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Glo Starling 4 P1020073.jpg
    Glo Starling 4 P1020073.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Glo Starling 5 P1020071.JPG
    Glo Starling 5 P1020071.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 61
Consider:

#2 - Meves's
#3 - Greater Blue-eared

I've seen & photoed both on our trip and these two seem to match. I have not seen the others, so won't hazard a guess

3 is Greater Blue-eared, as Cape Glossy has no mask.

I agree that 2 is Meve's (with that tail). I think you are probably right on Burchell's for the other three photos. BUT: there seems to be a lot of tail moulting going on, and the books have Meve's as strongly blue, which your photos 1, 4 and 5 are, but Burchell's as green-blue, so it's possible that all four are Meve's.

Where was 2 taken Niels? Believe that Meve's is present only in the northern section of Kruger (we certainly never saw any south of Shingwedzi)? I'd side with Tib on Burchell's though for reasons given

I believe that 2 was taken in Satara rest camp, and definitely not north of Mopani, which was as far north as we got in Kruger.

Niels

Thank you all, having looked here and again in the book, I am fairly happy with the outcome.

Niels

I agree with all the comments about no.2 being a Burchell's. Here's a Meves's for comparison.

Attachments

• Meve's .JPG
    Meve's .JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Dave, thanks for the image. Please upload to the gallery, there are only 6 images now, and your image will add to the understanding of the variation of the species.

Cheers
Niels

Dave, thanks for the image. Please upload to the gallery, there are only 6 images now, and your image will add to the understanding of the variation of the species.

Cheers
Niels

OK Niels, it's not one of my best shots but I'll make some adjustments and add it if it helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back