• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to China (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Hi, my name is Ash and I have been in China for about 6 months. Living in Guilin, does anyone live near here? any news on where to go in my neck of the woods.
Sadly my impression so far is birds are very rare here, accept for a few sparrows , 4 pied wagtails and 2 what I think are a black cap of some sort I have seen nothing, bird song is rare at best.

Any second hand camera stuff for sale here or tips where to get new stuff? seen a Nikon d7100 with a 18-140mm lens for 4,000 yuan and a Tamron 150-600 for 7,000 yuan both ball park figures!

Any information would be great as I am looking to burst back into birding NOW :t:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ash,

Glad to have you in China, and joining the sub-forum here. I've heard relatively little from bird watchers in Guilin, though I assume that they must at least pass through there from time to time.

I know when I first arrived in China I felt there was very little bird life - partly a need to look harder and smarter and just an unfamiliarity with many kinds which meant it took more effort to see them. I still feel its not always easy to identify fruitful areas to look for birds. I've only seen about 8 kinds of birds in my urban "backyard" (garden in our development), but it's still a big improvement from my old one which only had 2 (magpies and tree sparrows) - who would have thought this small garden would have so much? So, it's hard to say - keep your eyes open.

thanks will keep looking, about to buy my camera and lens, hopefully do my bike license so i can get further afield than my e bike will take me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back