• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paull Holme Strays - East Riding (1 Viewer)

malskelton

Enthusiastic Amateur
England
Hi guys

This is my first day out posting so please bear with me. I am what is called an enthusiastic amateur and since I don't have a lot of spare time my visit was only to a very local reserve.

Anyway, yesterday I went to Paull Holme Strays reserve about 1 mile from my village of Thorngumbald, nr Hull. This is a newly created habitat made as a result of breaching the banks of the Humber as a flood defence.

My in-laws have been walking their dog around there ( as many people do ) for a while and I decided to go down with my binoculars and see what was there.

Mute Swan x 3
Linnet x 2
Shelduck x 100 ( approx )
Avocet x 17 ( approx )
Coot x 5
Oystercatcher
Crow
Skylark
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting ( Male )

Then there are two that I'm not 100% on. I struggle with little brown birds and these were no exception :)

The first was a Pipit of some sort, which was sat still on a fence post. It's colouration looked very similar to a Dunnock - in that it was dark grey and brown. But was obviously considerably bigger and longer than a Dunnock ( plus was a lot flighty than a Dunnock ) Looking at the images in the database I would have said Rock Pipit - but some guidance would be useful.

The second I identified as a warbler and everytime I go it is in the same place signing away. I have seen this before and tried to memorise the outstanding features. Using my books when I get home my thoughts would be Sedge Warbler, but again not 100%.

Thought I would share that with you - never expected to see Avocets 1 mile from my home :)

Mal Skelton

Hi Mal,

Sedge Warbler would probably be quite likely, although if you can give more of a description it might be easier to confirm. I think Rock Pipit is perhaps less likely at this time of the year because (I'm guessing a bit here) you're not on a rocky coast. In the winter you'll probably get Rock Pipits coming up estuaries but less so in the summer. It's perhaps more likely to be a Meadow Pipit, which can look rather grey especially in summer when their plumage gets worn.

This sounds like a very good emerging site - I've seen the name mentioned and wondered where it was. What sort of habitats are there?

Fifebirder said:
Hi Mal,

Sedge Warbler would probably be quite likely, although if you can give more of a description it might be easier to confirm. I think Rock Pipit is perhaps less likely at this time of the year because (I'm guessing a bit here) you're not on a rocky coast. In the winter you'll probably get Rock Pipits coming up estuaries but less so in the summer. It's perhaps more likely to be a Meadow Pipit, which can look rather grey especially in summer when their plumage gets worn.

This sounds like a very good emerging site - I've seen the name mentioned and wondered where it was. What sort of habitats are there?

Thanks so much for the reply - I have seen the warbler 3 times now and look for different things each time. The one thing that made me most sure was the dark head and pale eye stripe.

I immediately thought Meadow Pipit, based on rational thinking, but the picture in my book made me less certain. Since we aren't on a rocky coast it made sense to be a Meadow Pipit.

The site is very new, probably about 1 year old. It is basically a couple of fields that have been flooded by the river and they have raised borders to prevent further flooding. There are no hides, just a path along the raised border. It is all mudflats apart from the area where the river doesn't retreat.

Most of the birds are quite a distance from the bank - for my bins anyway, you guys with your scopes would get some awesome views no doubt :)

Behind the path is farmland and meadows - hence the warblers, pipits and skylarks.

It isn't that easy to find - if you travel out of Hull towards the coast and then branch off towards Paull it is on the river bank. If anyone needs better instructions get in touch - I live about a mile away

Mal Skelton

Hi Mal

I lived in Thorngumbald until I moved down here in 1988. I used to do a long triangular walk from Thorn down to Paull Fort, then along the Humber to Stone Creek and then back along the road. Saw some great birds - Green Heron, Great White Egret, White stork, Dotterels, etc etc.

Paull Holme Strays sounds interesting, but I am not sure where it is. Is it anywhere near the little lighthouse type thing? Might come and have a look to see how the area has changed in sixteen years. 17 Avocets is great: are they breeding there?

Steve

Steve Lister said:
Hi Mal

I lived in Thorngumbald until I moved down here in 1988. I used to do a long triangular walk from Thorn down to Paull Fort, then along the Humber to Stone Creek and then back along the road. Saw some great birds - Green Heron, Great White Egret, White stork, Dotterels, etc etc.

Paull Holme Strays sounds interesting, but I am not sure where it is. Is it anywhere near the little lighthouse type thing? Might come and have a look to see how the area has changed in sixteen years. 17 Avocets is great: are they breeding there?

Steve

Steve

Whereabouts in the village did you live ?

I only moved here last April from Co. Durham so one in, one out :)

I have taken my bike out on a ride down Cherry Cobb but then turn left and join the main road ( about a 9 mile circuit ). I was lucky enough to get fantastic views of a Red Legged Partridge on the road in front of me.

The Paull reserve is before Fort Paull. If you drive from Thorngumbald, as you round the bend before Paull church it is on the left ( next to the water treatment setup ).

My in-laws walk their dog there ( like everybody else ) so they used to come back and tell me there were some ducks. I went one day with my binoculors and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Avocets !! They are always on the same sand bank, and they seem to be nesting - however they are just too far for my binoculars !!! I can tell what they are, but can't get good enough views of what they are doing.

Mal Skelton

Dear All

I've just joined the forum so if I get things wrong I apologise! To resurrect the thread about Paull Holme Strays, The Hull Valley Wildlife Group is logging the bird sightings for the new wetlands on behalf of the Environment Agency (I gather the EA have an obligation to monitor flora and fauna for several years). The site is developing well with around eight broods of Avocet, plus visits by 7 Little Egret, 3 Spoonbill, Honey Buzzard, Marsh Sandpiper, Temminck's Stint etc plus a possible orientalis Curlew. Should anyone want to help with the counts please let me know. All input definitely welcome. The site is about 200 acres and floods on tides over ~6.4 metres. A good time to visit is a couple of hours before high tide, when the waders come in to roost on the small islands.Recently (30/7) we had 1700 Dunlin, 27 Yellow Wagtail, 490 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, 23 Greenshank, 7 Common Sandpiper, 39 Curlew, 20 Ringed Plover, 2 Knot, 6 Pied Wagtail, 160 Redshank, 56 Avocet, 5 Heron, Little Grebe, 6 Grey and 6 Golden Plover, 23 Greylag and an adult Mediterranean Gull.

Ian Biggin said:
Dear All

I've just joined the forum so if I get things wrong I apologise! To resurrect the thread about Paull Holme Strays, The Hull Valley Wildlife Group is logging the bird sightings for the new wetlands on behalf of the Environment Agency (I gather the EA have an obligation to monitor flora and fauna for several years). The site is developing well with around eight broods of Avocet, plus visits by 7 Little Egret, 3 Spoonbill, Honey Buzzard, Marsh Sandpiper, Temminck's Stint etc plus a possible orientalis Curlew. Should anyone want to help with the counts please let me know. All input definitely welcome. The site is about 200 acres and floods on tides over ~6.4 metres. A good time to visit is a couple of hours before high tide, when the waders come in to roost on the small islands.Recently (30/7) we had 1700 Dunlin, 27 Yellow Wagtail, 490 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, 23 Greenshank, 7 Common Sandpiper, 39 Curlew, 20 Ringed Plover, 2 Knot, 6 Pied Wagtail, 160 Redshank, 56 Avocet, 5 Heron, Little Grebe, 6 Grey and 6 Golden Plover, 23 Greylag and an adult Mediterranean Gull.

Hi Ian,

Is it well sign-posted?

Sounds like a place to visit. I thought we had it good on the south bank of the Humber. Is there an hide?

Regards

Intellectual

Ian Biggin said:
Dear All

I've just joined the forum so if I get things wrong I apologise!

On behalf of the staff and admin at BirdForum, a warm welcome, Ian! Looks like you've done everything right posting-wise!

Sounds like a wonderful area. Wish I lived just a wee bit closer, I'd love to help with your counts. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back