• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you been seeing groups of buzzards recently? (1 Viewer)

Lmc3598

Hi
During the past moth, i have seen buzzards going around in groups of three or four, but only two of them are actually displaying.
I can imagine that this would be a pair displaying, but why is there always an extra buzzard or two?
Thanks

Its the best time of year to see displaying buzzards as pairs defend their terrory against wanfdering birds. Its fairly common to see 10-14 in the air togeather and on a couple of occasions I have seen 17 togeather.

I've had 'flocks' of up to 17 birds together in southwest Northumberland (where there is a high density of Common Buzzards) in April/May/June. These were almost all 2nd or 3rd calendar year birds, so presumably loose flocks of non-breeding birds.

cheers
martin

Hi
During the past moth, i have seen buzzards going around in groups of three or four, but only two of them are actually displaying.
I can imagine that this would be a pair displaying, but why is there always an extra buzzard or two?
Thanks

Hi Lucas,

Buzzards are reinforcing territories and displaying at this time of year. They know their neighbours and often will get together with adjacent pairs for a while before going their separate ways.

Young (non-breeding) Buzzards sometimes join in the soaring - but are not tolerated by the adults, who will chase them off.

So, if your local population is dense enough a dozen or more together is a common sight in spring.

H

Recently seen soaring flights of 10-15 Buzzards here in Oxfordshire.
A definite pair are together in the wooded area bounding where I have my morning walk.

Hi Lucas,

Buzzards are reinforcing territories and displaying at this time of year. They know their neighbours and often will get together with adjacent pairs for a while before going their separate ways.

H

I think it was Colin Tubbs, in his book on the Buzzard, who looked into this behaviour back in the 1960's. If I remember correctly he maintained that these groups of spiralling Buzzards are having territorial disputes. The aggression generated and hormones released are a necessary precursor to the pairs mating. Without this stimulus the pairs would not breed successfully.

I believe he claimed that it was a reason for the initial poor recovery of Buzzards after myxamatosis. Population levels were so low that even pairs in a suitable area did not breed as there were no adjacent pairs to have a territorial dispute with. When the denser areas of population did eventually spread, areas with non-breeding birds now had the necessary stimulation and the recovery accelerated.

Given all that it still is a magic sight to see several Buzzards spiralling together.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back