• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

From sun and 30 C a couple of days ago to a heavy snow this morning and a forecast of minus 18 C tomorrow, I return to base ...and first bird of the year on my plot, a totally unexpected immature White-tailed Eagle circling around overhead! Occasionally see them over my land during the summer months, but with most watercourses frozen, winter records at my locality are rather better.

Next few for the list were the regulars, mostly birds at the feeders - oodles of Great and Blue Tits, White-backed Woodpecker, etc.

1. White-tailed Eagle
2. White-backed Woodpecker
3. Great Spotted Woodpecker
4. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
5. Jay
6. Hooded Crow
7. Great Tit
8. Blue Tit
9. Marsh Tit
10. Bullfinch

Welcome back! Can we expect more tales of derring-do to regale Birdforum's readers?

T'was a tame do by any standard, bar a couple of scrapes with the car, a nice encounter with a big cat and a whole bucketload of good birds ...report will be following in due course :t:

14. Hermit Thrush
15. White-throated Swifts
16. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
17. European Starlings
18. A flock of Pintailed Wydahs

Put out feeders today. 1 suet, 1 mixed seed with pre-shelled sunflower seed and two hummingbird feeders (can't believe I'm doing this--never really approved of 'fake' food). I had an Allen's hummer at the feeder in less than two minutes. Gene said 30 seconds! One hummer feeder is in front, one in back.
My Mom's back yard is about 80 x 40 with NO TREES!! The front is also treeless. The flowering peach that was planted by the builder (or city?) in the early 60's snapped in half and was removed. However, across the street is a densely planted strip of Ficus Benjamina and Pines (Canary Islands, I think) a volunteer Mexican Fan Palm is in there too. The understory is a Mock Orange Pittosporum. A Juvie Cooper's Hawk hangs out there. I put the feeders in the back hoping to protect the feeding birds. We are about 4 miles from the beach. Bolsa Chica Reserve is about 10 minutes away.

Last edited:
I take it from the mix of species listed above that the 'garden' is not Peregrine's deck?

|8)|

Peter
Hi Peter. No, Peregrine is alone and warm in Mexico. We are in Orange County, California, freezing. ;) I bought a pair of long pants yesterday and am trying to talk the Navigator into shoes rather than Teva's. He isn't listening. Says he tried shoes at our daughter's wedding and can no longer wear them.;) The Peregrinators have had their wings clipped.:eek!:

in order of appearance here's mine so far:

1. Carrion Crow
2. Jackdaw
3. Magpie
4. Wood Pigeon
5. Black Headed Gull
6. Starling
7. Lssr Black Backed Gull
8. Pied Wagtail
9. Blue Tit
10. Chaffinch
11. Coal Tit
12. Collared Dove
13. Blackbird
14. Robin
15. Canada Goose
16. Great Tit
17. Long Tailed Tit
18.Song Thrush
19. Greenfinch
20. Housesparrow
21. Great Spotted Woodpecker
22. Dunnock
23. Buzzard

At last... after a 3 hour vigil male Sprawk, then 25 mins. later a Jay! 37 and 38, now where's that Wren?

And maybe we should tell something to our yards...
Our yard is in Kotka - South-East Finland and is typical Finnish suburban garden. It has a size of just under 1,000 square meter (m2) and it grows apple and plum trees, and one huge pine. In wintertime I feed birds mostly with sunflower seeds, peanuts and fat.

My garden is about two acres and is right in the middle of the Dorset countryside, surrounded by farmland and small patches of woodland. There is a considerable area of woodland within the garden and there is a very small pond.

Two more additions today, both of which were rather overdue:
34. Nuthatch- seemingly very low in numbers this winter
35. Buzzard

Hi Peter. No, Peregrine is alone and warm in Mexico. We are in Orange County, California, freezing. I bought a pair of long pants yesterday ....
Long pants!? Awww, what a shame, poor you...

3:)

Attachments

• Current Jan06.jpg
    Current Jan06.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
My garden is a small 2m x 10m (ish) bit of grass with a privet hedge and a couple of trees overlooking some nice dunes and the sea.

2015 has started slowly but its a start.......

1 Starling
2 House Sparrow
3 Woodpigeon
4 Dunnock
5 Robin
6 Herring Gull
7 Wren
8 Magpie

19. Western Kingbird

Peter, the temps up there are why there are more Canadians in Hualtulco than Mexicans.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back