• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg found on lawn (1 Viewer)

vinnielo

My dad discovered a bird's egg on the lawn this afternoon, next to the bird table. Can anyone guess how it may have ended up there? Is it a common thing?

I've not seen it yet, as I'd only been told this evening.
I'll try to describe the colouring and size when I take a look tomorrow.
What should I do with it?

EDIT: Can I just add that there aren't any trees nearby that it could have fallen out of.

Last edited:
It's amazing what birds can do with no hands! Without the description, the two most obvious causes can be removal of an unwanted/alien egg from another species (busted parasitic birds like the brown headed cowbird) or removal of an egg in host nest BY the parasitic bird. If it's just a shell, then it could be removed by the parent bird, so as not to attract predators to the nest. If it was crushed up, that could be a predator.
Just to name a few reasons.
shelley

It's probably been removed from the nest by a carrion crow or magpie, which was scared off before it could eat it. Happens all the time.

Thanks, Offord.
That seems likely.

I guess I ought to look around my garden inside the bushes and hedges to see if there are any nests in there it may have come from.

If I'm unsuccessful in finding its nest, would I need to destroy it?

Right, I've had a good look at it, and it's about 3cm in height and pale blue all over.
What bird does the egg belong to?

I found a beige pheasant egg on the lawn today. I left it in case this was meant to be a nest, but within an hour it had gone and the magpie was looking guilty!
If I knew where the proper nest was I would have transferred it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back