• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper Nestbox (1 Viewer)

scott5

Hi All.
New to the forum. Would like any ideas about making the treecreeper box user friendly.
I have positioned it on a large oak tree in my garden about 3 meters of the ground.
It is within the branches but clear enough for me to keep an eye on it.
As any one any experience of boxes for treecreepers.
I do get them quite regular but not sure if they will nest.
I do hope so.

Scott5

Hello Scott, and welcome to Birdforum. Sorry I have no experience with Trrecreeper nest boxes but good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Hello Scott5 and welcome to Birdforum.net

Sorry, I have no idea about their nestboxes, but let me know how you get on, as I also have treecreepers in the garden.

Regards

Welcom To BirdForum i would say that if you get them on a reglar basis then there is a good chance of them nesting.

Also are there any suitable nesting places near to you and do they just come to your garden for the trees or do you put something out to attract them.

John N said:
Hello Scott, and welcome to Birdforum. Sorry I have no experience with Trrecreeper nest boxes but good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the welcome.
Every time I pass within sight of the box I look for any sign of one showing an interest.
I have other boxes up.
Blue tit box with prospective tenents.
Also a community House Sparrow box still hopeful on this one,but it is out of sight from the bungalow so have to go and check occasionally.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

scott5

Hi Scott,

I've had three Treecreeper boxes (wedge shaped) up for quite a few years and none have been used despite me hearing/seeing them regularly.

Am sure there are plenty of natural nest sites here as it's a large garden with plenty of old trees.

like siting most boxes I think it's just a matter of patience....

timmyjones said:
Welcom To BirdForum i would say that if you get them on a reglar basis then there is a good chance of them nesting.

Also are there any suitable nesting places near to you and do they just come to your garden for the trees or do you put something out to attract them.

Hi
There are a small number of mature trees around our home and a few small woodland areas.
They do come all the year round so i will keep my fingers crossed.
And my camera ready.

Richard W said:
Hi Scott,

I've had three Treecreeper boxes (wedge shaped) up for quite a few years and none have been used despite me hearing/seeing them regularly.

Am sure there are plenty of natural nest sites here as it's a large garden with plenty of old trees.

like siting most boxes I think it's just a matter of patience....
Hi
That is not good news but like you say patience is the name of the game.
The last time I saw a treecreepers nest it was in an old tree and only about 1 metre of the floor.

a friend of mine who does bird ringing was inspecting some of his boxes on a local nature reserve and found Treecreepers in a Tit box, also often has Blue/Coal Tit nesting in Treecreeper boxes ;)

the advice I was given was to make the box very narrow, dont seal up the bottom and have very small access holes on both sides of the box at the top, my boxes are all head height.

I might be completely wrong here but the few natural treecreeper nests I've seen have only been 5-6ft off the ground, maybe your box is too high?

Johnny1 said:
I might be completely wrong here but the few natural treecreeper nests I've seen have only been 5-6ft off the ground, maybe your box is too high?

If you mean my message, it's not too high because the predators can reach otherwise the box easily. I have seen also natural nests and those have been about 1.5 m high.

Hannu :eek!:

romancitizen said:
Hannu, I know we British are usually behind you Europeans: I assume the measurements on the site are in centimetres, not inches ?

We occasionally get a treecreeper in the trees outside the office window, so I may try that one.

Yes, centimetres !
I have one idea that you can open one side of box to check situation.
If you are interested on the idea, tell me !

Hannu
:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back