• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poor Photographs (1 Viewer)

Jay, GR - thanks for the info on the red dots. How did you mount your sights to the scope? (I can't really tell from Jay's picture). One good feature of the Televue is that it is available with a base attached to a wide velcro strap, which works reasonably well for those of us who are reluctant to take drill or glue to our scopes. Glen

Glen Tepke said:
Jay, GR - thanks for the info on the red dots. How did you mount your sights to the scope? (I can't really tell from Jay's picture). One good feature of the Televue is that it is available with a base attached to a wide velcro strap, which works reasonably well for those of us who are reluctant to take drill or glue to our scopes. Glen

The BSA sights that GR mentioned look very nice. The knobs for windage and elevation should be very useful and better than the screw heads on the inexpensive Daisy.

The following are some additional pictures showing how I mounted the sight. This should work well for a variety of sights.
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro1.jpg
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro2.jpg
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro3.jpg

This sacrifices the peep sight since I ended up using epoxy to make the Daisy to peep sight attachment rigid. But I considered it virtually useless anyway and I believe it is easily replaceable. Since the peep sight is made from some kind of plastic, the sight can move around a slight amount and this will affect aim. I simply press down on the peep sight near the eyepiece to make sure it is well seated. I think you'd probably have to create an extension from the tripod mounting to get something more rigid.

Thanks for the additional photos. My Kowa scope does not have any detachable pieces like your peep sight. It does have a hollow tube sight firmly attached to the body, which works well for viewing but is blocked by the camera when digiscoping. It is positioned on the only part of the body that will accommodate the velcro strap of the Televue base, which makes the sight much less stable, and frequent alignment is necessary. Nonetheless, I can't bring myself to saw off the tube sight or to glue the base to the body, so I will look into a better sight like the BSA that will attach to the Televue base and live with that for now. Glen

GR Triever said:
And if you'd like a little higher quality, check out BSA's 30mm red dot scopes; IIRC the last one I picked up was around $30-40USD.

GR
http://www.airpistol.co.uk/telescopic_sights.htm

This is a website I found here in the UK - but just look at the prices! Is this a similar red-dot site, Jay?

There are some also sights on eBay that are much less expensive - do you recognise any of these as suitable for birding?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&query=red+dot+sight&ebaytag1code=3&shortcut=2&currdisp=1&maxRecordsReturned=300&maxRecordsPerPage=50&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

Last edited:
Steve,

If you're not familiar with red-dot scopes (and most people aren't unless they also are shooters), they are powered scopes, working off a small lithium battery. An electronic dot is projected onto the lens of the scope, and you align it for your eyes and head position, in addition to the centered sight target of the gun barrel (or spotting scope, in this case). This way you don't have to hold your head in an awkward position when sighting in on a target, and target acquisition is much more rapid than trying to align cross-hairs on a target.

Almost any red-dot should work; the main differences will be in the intensity of the dot and the field of view. The higher priced red-dots will have finer adjustments for position (windage/elevation), and also will have different settings for dot intensity and illumination.

Regards,

GR

scampo said:
http://www.airpistol.co.uk/telescopic_sights.htm

This is a website I found here in the UK - but just look at the prices! Is this a similar red-dot site, Jay?

The SMK sight at the bottom looks moderately priced.

I've only used the Daisy sight. So I can't say much about other models. I am very happy with the Daisy and find it is extremely helpful in getting the scope on birds quickly and easily.

I have three minor complaints about it though. So scopes that improve on these aspects might be better.

1) I'd rather have something that uses a AAA battery. 2032 batteries are pretty anemic and its a shame when something with more capacity could last a year or so.
2) You need a screwdriver to adjust windage and elevation. Not a big deal, but knobs would be better.
3) The open tube and flat top can pick up substantial glare when the sun is in front of you. You usually don't want the sun in front, but nonetheless, a closed design might give a better sight picture in a wider variety of conditions.

I think GR is correct. Almost any red-dot would work. The main issue is brightness of the dot. So I'd lean toward models designed for guns rather than ones for astronomy. I'm not really looking to upgrade my inexpensive little Daisy sights. They work fine. Heck, better than fine.

Thanks, GR. We have a gun shop locally, so I'll pop in and see what they have. It seems to me it's a definite try-before-you-buy item, even if so inexpensive.

Ok guys thank for all the pointers and tips. I have to report that thinks are improving.

I live in an area with lots of houses around me, backyards and not gardens. So poking a telescope through the back bedroom window is not a good idea. People already think I am wierd going birdwatching, never mind being labeled as a peeping tom as well!

I have been practicing as you said on inanimate objects. I am getting the swing of focusing although its not always perfect but certainly much better. My colours have improved, and the tip about tightening the tripod head is a winner, it has made everything much easier, just leaning on it a little.

I have now moved up to sheep!! A bit like birds but bigger.... they don't move so much or so fast. I did try rabbits at one stage but gave up again on them for the time being.

I have taken back my Nikon remote control. It was next to useless. Kept sticking and taking lots of pictures when I didnt want it too. Wouldn't work when I did. I now have an eagle eye bracket and manual plunger thingy. Much better now since I can control easier and snap with more ease.

There is light at the end of this dark tunnel. I set off with Andy's settings in my camera, but found that by trial and error some tweaking is necessary for best results. I presume its suiting the weather, the light and the subject. In some instances landscape mode worked best, but as soon as I got onto a moving target things changed again. Manual mode with me focusing via the scope is easier then.

Once again guys thanks for the help. I will publish some results soon.... or is there a sheep forum somewhere here??

Sheep forum? Nahh .. I'm from Australia, not from Ne- ... er ... I mean "not from that other place".

I had the exact same problem as you with the Nikon remote, Mick. Hopeless. Luckily, I had only borrowed it from friend. For some reason, she doesn't particularly seem to want it back!

PS. Someone from here emailed me today about (I think) something to do with this thread. I glanced at the mail, didn't even get to read it before I was called away by some duty or another. (I have my mail come to the office, not here at home.) Whoever you are, I'll dig it out when I go to work tomorrow and reply them - hopefully, making some sense!

This is a very dangerous thing to say. Especially coming from a peeping tom.
You dont need a telescope for sheep, just stick their legs down the front of your wellies...... (did I just say that!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back