• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombian Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

olivewarbler

third generation birder
Hello all,

I observed this little flycatcher (?) in the Central Andes of Colombia at about 1700 MASL in second-growth montane forest. I think it is an immature individual, solely based on the coloration in the bill. The wing feather coloration seemed distinctive, but I was unable to resolve the identification with the BoC or BoNSA guides.

I would appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• 20091009_016_cr.jpg
    20091009_016_cr.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20091009_017_cr.jpg
    20091009_017_cr.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 66
Wow! Thanks Kratter and Patrick.

The paintings in the field guides do not do it justice. They appear much darker and much more reddish in the guides, so I passed over them. But I can see the coloration a bit of the belly, the same light coloration in the bill and the fuzzy wingbars.

A lifer for me! Thanks again!

All the Mionectes Flycatchers that I've seen seem to have that gape line that makes them look immature. Don't know if any more experienced neotropics birders can confirm that this is a feature of the genus?

James

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back