• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Luminous Owls (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Hi Folks This is a wierd one, during a discussion on various forms of lightning it was clamed that Malvern is a known source of ball ligtning, I have no proof that this is so. But here is the point of this posting an explanation for this is that it is NOT ball lightning but Barn Owls flying at night. The theory is that Barn Owls develop a fungus on their wings which is luminescent, hence the owls GLOW in the dark.

I can vouch for the fact some Fungi are luminescence and glow at night, ie Sulpher Tuft do, but Owls that glow? Well Ive never heard of it, so come on you birders anyone out there ever seen a glowing Barn Owl, or heard of such?
This is a serious question, any answers will be treated seriously.

Good Birding PeterK

I have just googled Barn Owls Luminous, Peter, and a whole load of sites came up, so it would appear that Barn Owls can indeed appear luminous.

However, are there a particularly large number of Barn Owls in and around Malvern? More so than other places? If not, I am not sure that the ball lightning can be attributed to them. I have to admit, I hadn't heard that Malvern is a known source of ball lightning.

It will be interesting to see what others say.

Not something that I have heard of, Peter, but, as an owlaholic, I will trawl my books to see what I can find for you. I certainly like the idea.

Hi Peter,

I'd not heard of this before but I've had a look at my books and I have something in a book called 'Owls-their natural and unnatural history' by John Sparks and Tony Soper. ISBN 0-7153-4995-3

It is (not surprisingly) in the 'Unnatural History' Chapter, starting on P165 and is an account taken from the Transactions of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists Society in 1907 which talks about sightings of a 'luminous' Owl and suggests that this might be a source of reports of 'Will-of-the-wisps' etc. It doesn't sound as though it could be mistaken for ball lightning.

The report is too long to reproduce here but maybe you can get a copy of the book from your local Library.

Bill

I must look this up again Peter because there was a discussion on B F a few years ago about this very thing although I can't remember if it concerned Owls.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, but still related topic I was in Speyside some years ago and watched a Goldeneye fly low across the water around dawn and it looked to me like a car headlight coming across the water. I mentioned this in the thread on BF and no one dismissed the idea.

This link might be useful http://www.owlpages.com/articles.php?section=Studies+and+Papers&title=Min+Min

EDIT. I have not read the link yet myself, but have looked at the first few lines. I see it is wondered if this luminosity may be intrinsic to the bird or caused by fungi (or similar) which is picked up from the nest tree cavity. Now my immediate thought there was oh yes Goldeneye nest in tree cavities too. and so do many other birds of course, but just a thought!

Last edited:
I've managed to get round to giving the link that I added a cursory glance. I'll have to give it more time, but I see that the author does not give much creedence to the light being caused by fungi. I'd be interested if anyone has found any information with a strong argument which is contary to this.

I'm still convinced the Goldeneye I saw in Scotland give off a similar light and my view won't alter on that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back