• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western or Semipalmated Sandpiper, Florida, USA (1 Viewer)

MariettaBirder

I took these photos of the sandpiper from Biolab Road in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on October 31, 2009. They are all of the same individual that was feeding alone along the shore of a saltwater bay.

Base on several guides and an article in Birding, I believe it is a Western Sandpiper, but a friend of mine from the UK who specializes in shorebirds, is leaning toward Semipalmated.

Any additional clarification would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1358.jpg
    Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1358.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 250
  • Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1363.jpg
    Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1363.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1364.jpg
    Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1364.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 207
I would vote for the Semipalmated. The Western usually has a slightly downturned bill. This is a tough group, especially in non-breeding plumage.

I really think this is a Western, in terms of structure it is quite plump with a short rear end and the center of gravity in front of the legs. The bill is slightly downcurved and a bit short, but well within the range of variation for Western, I think.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this but to my eyes the bird does not look well!
There appears to be some abnormal swelling/growth around the knees and the tarsus, particularly the left leg. The bill shows rather uneven growth also, check images 2 & 3. Unless this is extreme digital artefact, would it not be unwise to judge a bird on these features presuming they could be retarded due to disease or malnutrition. Just a thought!

I'm not quite sure what to call this one. I'd have to think about it a bit more. But, the legs and bill look perfectly fine to me - they just seem to have a lot of the mud in which it's feeding upon, attached.

For one, the head shape just doesn't seem right for semi-p. It doesn't seem as rounded as one would expect for that species. And according to the national geographic, the centre of the breast in a winter plumaged semi-p should never show faint streaking which does occur in some winter westerns. You can see that the centre of the breast here is indeed streaked. I would THINK this is a western, but it just seems a bit odd (but obviously either western or semi-p). The bill does look quite short, but I have seen westerns with bills of similar length. Also, the bill does show a decurvation.

Last edited:
Thanks all. The vote seems evenly split.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this but to my eyes the bird does not look well!
There appears to be some abnormal swelling/growth around the knees and the tarsus, particularly the left leg. The bill shows rather uneven growth also, check images 2 & 3. Unless this is extreme digital artefact, would it not be unwise to judge a bird on these features presuming they could be retarded due to disease or malnutrition. Just a thought!

Interesting you should say it's not normal. I got this somewhat fuzzy shot of it where it seems to have a clubbed or damaged left foot. I didn't include it with the original post because of the poor quality.

Attachments

• Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1360.jpg
    Sandpiper, Western, Biolab Rd, Merritt Is, FL 1360.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Looks like the foot is just flung backwards in motion?

By the way, did you hear that there is a Eurasian wigeon between stops 6 and 7 on Black Point Wildlife Drive at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge? Found today. I love that place. I'll be going back a few times this winter to check it out.

By the way, did you hear that there is a Eurasian wigeon between stops 6 and 7 on Black Point Wildlife Drive at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge? Found today. I love that place. I'll be going back a few times this winter to check it out.

I afraid I won't be able to look for it as I'm back in Georgia.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back