• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanagers-Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

maria-TX-BCN

my best guesses:

1.Red-throated Ant-tanager, female
2.Rufous-winged tanager, female

I would appreciated confirmations/corrections/comments.
thanks in advance

taken last week in El Arenal

Attachments

• DSCN9810.jpg
    DSCN9810.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN9722.jpg
    DSCN9722.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 45
I think 1 is another Hepatic

You could be right with 2 but I wonder why there is no rufous in the wing, the bill being all black concerns me as well?

I considered immature Blue Dacnis but the bill is the wrong shape.

I'm wondering about an immature Green Shrike Vireo?

A

Last edited:
here are more pictures of #1
I hope they help

Attachments

• DSCN9820.JPG
    DSCN9820.JPG
    462.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN9815.jpg
    DSCN9815.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9811.jpg
    DSCN9811.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 48
Also agree on Carmiol's/Olive tanager: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Carmiol's_Tanager

Regarding No 2: the old Ridgely guide to Panama writes on Bay-head
Immature much duller, mostly green, but some brown on head or blue on underparts usually shows
and on Rufous-winged
female and especially immature basically green, but almost always showing at least some rufous on heads and wings
(my italics added)

It seems to me that not showing any specific plumage colors is more expected with Bayhead.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back