• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Conundrum - Advice needed please (1 Viewer)

prm

This tale is so convoluted - a reader would become very confused if I were to document it fully.

Suffice to say I have purchased a 2nd hand but unused Swaro ATS 65 HD scope. The scope was supposed to be complete with a 25 x 50 eyepiece and SOC. However, due to the inexperience of the seller in telescopes generally there is no eyepiece. So I have in my possession a high end scope with no eyepiece. Currently, buying a new Swaro 25 x 50 is not an option (poverty is a terrible thing!), and used ones appear to be like hen's teeth (understandably so).

My question is whether any of you have any advice on which Swaro eyepiece I may be able to buy (used) that will be a good partner to this undoubtedly excellent scope (according to every review I've read)?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Send it back get a refund.

IMHO That's not inexperience, that's sounding like fraud. Nope, refund, seek another scope out.

Send it back get a refund.

IMHO That's not inexperience, that's sounding like fraud. Nope, refund, seek another scope out.

Yes I am considering the return and refund option.

I am negotiating a partial refund anyway (c. 28% of the price paid) I do believe the seller has just been genuinely ignorant in this case. At this stage I'm avoiding discussing 'specific performance of contracts' or 'internet fraud' etc

The 30x is exceptional with this scope, truly one of the best views out there. Though I've not tried it, I note that Cley Spy has a used (new style) 45x lens for under £100. Could be an excellent budget option whilst you save for the zoom.

Yes I am considering the return and refund option.

I am negotiating a partial refund anyway (c. 28% of the price paid) I do believe the seller has just been genuinely ignorant in this case. At this stage I'm avoiding discussing 'specific performance of contracts' or 'internet fraud' etc

Keep in mind that you will be unable to judge the scope's performance until you can use it with an eyepiece. If it is a lemon (not very probable, but still) or the scope was dropped and internally damaged, you may not know until long after the deal is closed and your right to return is long gone.
I see no reason why you shouldn't send it back.

//L

Hi,

so if you really want to keep it - maybe since the reduced price is good - I would recommend the following course of action:

- find out if the body is still under warranty. If yes, you can ignore the next step. A mail to Swaro support with the serial number should do the trick.
- If not under warranty, you should get temporary access to a fitting eyepiece soon to test the body. So find a store or a fellow birder...
- Then there's several options to use the scope until you can afford the zoom. Either get a fixed Swaro EP 30x or 45x or get the Swaro astro adapter (discontinued but a copy is available new from a german store) and one or more 1,25" astro EPs. The body has a focal length of 420mm, so you want a 14mm EP for 30x, 9mm for 45x or 7mm for 60x. Astro EPs are usually a lot cheaper and better available than those for spotting scopes but you need to test them since some don't come to focus in spotting scopes with their usually short focus travel.

Here's a used astro adapter on some german gumtree equivalent - if you want it, I can help with language if needed.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/swarovski-spektiv-adapter-okular/467806068-245-3148

And the very nice Swaro 30x wide on the same site.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...-w-fuer-swarovski-spektive/355413359-230-2960

Regards,

Joachim

Thanks all three of you above, clearly the first decision I have to make is whether to return it or not. It appears be in pristine condition so I'd prefer to keep it. I'll take all that you've written into consideration when making my mind up. I hope you won't mind if I contact any of you by private message for further advice should I need it
Again, thank you very much

thanks very much for the 'heads up' jring, I hadn't considered gumtree and will keep my eye on it. Ebay has a couple on sale and they occasionally appear in the classifieds on here.

Just to update - I am fully convinced now that the 'missing' eyepiece is more cockup than conspiracy. I even know the Serial No. of the e.p. The seller honestly believed that it was connected to the scope, she is fully aware of her contractual obligations so I'm still hopeful of a happy ending to all of this.

Again, thank you very much.

You could also simply get a s/h 20-60x. Not quite as good as the new wide angle zoom but the market is swamped with them and it works great on that body (had the combo myself).
Best of luck,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back