• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Want to remove the bat colony (1 Viewer)

crawfordhugh

Hei guys please help me.
Last week we were cleaning our attic after a long time and I just found out a group of little bats sleeping at there. My wife asked to remove them but I felt pity and suggested to wait some more days so that the mother bat may replace them to somewhere else. But it didn't happen yet. They are still there. We can hear their terrifying sound at night. It's really annoying too. How can we remove them now ? I'm not interested in harming the bats. But I just don't want them in my attic. I have enquired about some pest animal removing services. But they could cost over $2,000 to come and remove them. Is there a better (cheaper) service for me to do this? My neighbour suggested Remove the wild pest control service. in Canada. Anyone knows their service charge ?

Last edited:
Hei guys please help me.
Last week we were cleaning our attic after a long time and I just found out a group of little bats sleeping at there. My wife asked to remove them but I felt pity and suggested to wait some more days so that the mother bat may replace them to somewhere else. But it didn't happen yet. They are still there. We can hear their terrifying sound at night. It's really annoying too. How can we remove them now ? I'm not interested in harming the bats. But I just don't want them in my attic. I have enquired about some pest animal removing services. But they could cost over $2,000 to come and remove them. Is there a better (cheaper) service for me to do this? My neighbour suggested Remove the wild pest control service. in Canada. Anyone knows their service charge ?

Is there a bat conservation charity in Canada? Would imagine that they would be able to help.

Chances are they've been there for quite a while unnoticed before you found them, heading out each evening to eat small insects (biting bugs included). They're harmless, take up barely any room, and just want to get on with life without bothering anyone or being bothered, so why not share? You're unlikely to get too many folk on here falling over themselves to help you evict them, we're more likely to be jealous of you for having your own bats!

Hei guys please help me.

Terrifying sound? I have no idea what you mean by that! But if it bothers you, why not earplugs or a white noise machine? Bats are interesting and harmless creatures whose populations are under considerable threat in much of North America and I'm sorry you want to evict them. I'd love to have a bat colony in my house.

As elsewhere bats are an important source of rabies in Canada and it is wholly understandable that people may wish to remove colonies from domestic premises.

Contact the Canadian Wildlife Health Cooperative for advice : http://www.cwhc-rcsf.ca

Best wishes

As elsewhere bats are an important source of rabies in Canada and it is wholly understandable that people may wish to remove colonies from domestic premises.

Contact the Canadian Wildlife Health Cooperative for advice : http://www.cwhc-rcsf.ca

Best wishes

Have there been cases of rabies infection in humans because of bats?

I thought that they would have to actually bite to transfer the disease...?

I would have thought the chances of getting rabies via bats would be nil - unless handling them maybe(?).

? . .'Negligible' is an critically irresponsible sentiment applicable only when it's not your children at risk.,

Come, come, 2 or 3 cases per annum in a population of over 300,000,000 and those mostly from dogs. . .. Given this statistic, what's "irresponsible" is not allowing a few bats to live in peace in attics, but stoking irrational prejudice by spreading scare stories about the poor creatures.

Last edited:
Come, come, 2 or 3 cases per annum in a population of over 300,000,000 and those mostly from dogs. . .. Given this statistic, what's "irresponsible" is not allowing a few bats to live in peace in attics, but stoking irrational prejudice by spreading scare stories about the poor creatures.

If only more people thought like you fugi, nature would have a better chance in this over-populated (by humans) world, bats would be more than welcome in my attic.

We have a colony of bats in our attic (one of the pipistrelles I think) and we have others in our barn and behind our shutters. It has never occurred to me to try to get rid of them! They make a bit of noise in the summer, presumably when they are breeding, but it's hardly terrifying! I quite like to hear them chattering, the sparrows in our hedge are much noisier.

Sadly this reminds me of the attitude to snakes here in France where almost every one is killed on sight (strangely no-one seems too bothered about bats though) ;)

I believe the only bats that are likely to transmit Rabies are vampire bats - unless someone is handling infected bats and gets bitten.

If someone really couldn't bear to have them in their attic then I guess that once it's warm enough for them to fly then leaving a bright light on might encourage them to move on without causing too much harm? Personally they are welcome here though o:D

Last edited:
A quick Google search revealed that between 1970 and 2007, 6 cases of rabies in humans in Canada were attributed to bites from bats. Source:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5708a1.htm.

For the benefit of Samandag, I would suggest that there is a much more serious risk to child safety in the UK at least:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6839754/Jack-Russell-tops-list-of-dogs-most-likely-to-attack-humans.html

There were 17 human deaths in the UK due to dog bites between 2005 and 2013.

The first thing that struck me (not a rabid bat in the dark, unsurprisingly perhaps) was the contrast between bats being extremely protected in the UK, with big fines etc for disturbing them, and the Migratory Bird Act in the USA whereby you can be fined for even handling or feeding an injured common bird ... whereas bats are treated as vermin.

(But then of course I realised this is Canada, not the old US of A :eek!: ) But the bats were there first ...

I'm rather curious about this.
Did you hear the terrifying noises before you discovered the bats, or only afterwards?
Bats, being nocturnal, shouldn't be in your attic at night but out foraging for insects, etc.
Most people can't hear bat frequencies.
Might the noise be something else entirely?
Martin

Hi,

first of all it would be helpful to identify the bats - some kinds may be protected and "removing" them might actually be illegal - at least in Germany, but I guess in Canada too. Also after having removed the bats all entry paths to the attic need to be blocked in order to avoid the problem next year.

Regarding noises - the echolocation cries of bats should be inaudible without special electronic equipment for most kinds of bats - there's few that use frequencies below 20kHz and those can usually only be heard by children or youths as the ability to hear high frequencies gets worse with age.

And also there's only one kind of bats in Canada which carries rabies with a non-negligible percentage - the big brown bat. It is - as all canadian bat species - insectivorous and thus the chance of being bitten or scratched by one it rather slim if one does not handle a bat found somewhere without some protection like leather gloves.

Some hints in here...

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/09vol35/acs-dcc-7/index-eng.php

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bats_of_Canada

Joachim

I'm rather curious about this.
Did you hear the terrifying noises before you discovered the bats, or only afterwards?
Bats, being nocturnal, shouldn't be in your attic at night but out foraging for insects, etc.
Most people can't hear bat frequencies.
Might the noise be something else entirely?
Martin

Colonial squeaks and chattering is audible often but not at all terrifying!

I found a lovely colony of Noctules in Serbia, in a tree, right in the City centre, of Novi Sad by hearing them.

As others have said, enjoy them and just let them be.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back