• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchids Of Crete (1 Viewer)

ladybee

I am planning a trip to Crete next year (March/April) and wondered if anyone would be so good as to give me a rough idea of good areas to visit to find Orchids and when would be the best time.
Thank you

I am planning a trip to Crete next year (March/April) and wondered if anyone would be so good as to give me a rough idea of good areas to visit to find Orchids and when would be the best time.
Thank you

Spili is the place everyone goes...
Buy a copy of Jeff Collman's 'Walks with Crete's Spring Flowers'
(Beechwood Press, 2003)..... but as with much of the Mediterranean
at the end of March/beginning of April, it is difficult not to see
lots of orchids everywhere!!!
Best wishes
David

Spili is the place everyone goes...
Buy a copy of Jeff Collman's 'Walks with Crete's Spring Flowers'
(Beechwood Press, 2003)..... but as with much of the Mediterranean
at the end of March/beginning of April, it is difficult not to see
lots of orchids everywhere!!!
Best wishes
David

Thank you David |=)| , orchid time can't come soon enough.

Thank you

Hi Anne

This will help you immeasurably>>

http://www.summerfieldbooks.com/orchids:-crete-&-dodecanese.~622

I've not been orchiding in Crete but this has plenty of site information. It was published in 2004 so hopefully not too much change...

Mike

? Foreign O Bergonii

Sorry foreign orchid but ID appreciated -from my trip to Monte St Angelo this year. Having seen photos of O. Bergonii in hardy plant winning entry and on this site is this cross between O. SIMIA and O. ANTHROPOPORA? OR even O. ITALICA . as both growing nearby. ( or even just colour variant of O. Italica) please advise if you can david merry xmas everyone

Attachments

• IMG_8755 (2).jpg
    IMG_8755 (2).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 161
Sorry foreign orchid but ID appreciated -from my trip to Monte St Angelo this year. Having seen photos of O. Bergonii in hardy plant winning entry and on this site is this cross between O. SIMIA and O. ANTHROPOPORA? OR even O. ITALICA . as both growing nearby. ( or even just colour variant of O. Italica) please advise if you can david merry xmas everyone

That looks like the hybrid between O. italica and O. anthropophora.

Incidentally, that is my picture of O. x bergonii in the HOS photo comp. Very lucky to see it! It flowered this year for the first time since the 90s in Kent.

Mike

Thanks Mike - it looks to be beautifully illustrated, it's on the list for Santa |=)| .. which reminds me - Happy Christmas and all the best for the New Year. (Hope your book is coming on well)

Anne

Thanks Anne - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too! The book work has only just begun... :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back