• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Coastal Plant (1 Viewer)

Gander

I am trying to identify the plants common to my patch, but have drawn a blank on the one pictured. It does not help that I have only paid attention to it in its Winter condition, but I am hoping someone might recognise it.

The plant is is hollow stemmed and typically seven to eight feet tall. It is growing on coastal land on the Firth of Forth. The birds love hiding in it, especially Reed Bunting, but I have never seen a bird feeding on the heads. It bares some similarities to Giant Hogweed, but is not Hogweed. Stems are not hairy.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1000535.jpg
    P1000535.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P1000536.jpg
    P1000536.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 57
  • P1000533.jpg
    P1000533.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 42
  • P1000548.jpg
    P1000548.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 56
  • P1000563.jpg
    P1000563.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 56
Not ideal images for ID, but given its height + gizz, I suspect Hemlock, Conium maculatum- often abundant in disturbed places.

Not ideal images for ID, but given its height + gizz, I suspect Hemlock, Conium maculatum- often abundant in disturbed places.

Thanks Aeshna5. That looks like a good call. It may also be relevant that the plants are around a medieval tower given its medicinal history. Thanks again.

Could be Hemlock, but there's other species in Apiaceae it could also be. See if there's any clumps of green foliage at the base of the stems you can get pics of.

Could be Hemlock, but there's other species in Apiaceae it could also be. See if there's any clumps of green foliage at the base of the stems you can get pics of.

Can't think of many others that are 7 or 8 feet tall when Giant Hogweed has been excluded.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back