• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitchable Eurasian Lynx, Estonia (1 Viewer)

JCL

I have just returned from Estonia (site 1hr from Talinn), having successfully twitched Eurasian Lynx (female and cub). While the snow remains, there is a decent chance of others connecting - but you need to move fast. I will write a short trip report/blogpost, but unfortunately broke my ribs during the trip, so typing v hard. Headline is if you want to try and see, contact Marika Mann at Estonian Nature Tours asap. She has access to the local guide who knows the site and without whose help (4WD, site knowledge, tracking ability) I would never have stood a chance no matter how long I tried. Record shot through car windscreen attached.

James

Attachments

• _85I8425 copy.JPG
    _85I8425 copy.JPG
    477.8 KB · Views: 140
Sounds interesting (as long as the chance of cracking one's ribs remains low). For the trip report - did you see other interesting local species (birds or mammals) on your trip?

Well done James - get well soon.... I am over-committed already this spring so can't go, but perhaps the opportunity will recur.

John

Hi James, I'm envious of your lynx sighting, less so the resulting damage. Lynx photography seem to be a dangerous business. Hope you and your camera are back in action soon.

Estonia is almost certainly the 'easiest' country in Europe to see them, the country has a good population of Lynx and certainly some areas have reasonable possibilities to encounter one with some dedication.

However, without considering this exact case, I would agree that someone visiting for just a few days would still need considerable luck even with a local information.

Pretty envious of that sighting - nice one! It seems more like luck than anything. While he had been trying to track them for a few days the actual sighting appears pretty flukey given he just bumped into them whilst driving; given that the whole of Estonia (aside larger towns) will be part of a lynx' territory, that fortune could have happened anywhere. Describing them as twitchable seems a bit far-fetched imo.

Not the case. The female and three cubs have been followed for several weeks and are using a small area. The site is such that each time the cats move more than several 100 m they have to cross a drivable track. If that track is covered in snow (as at present), they leave fresh prints. Find the fresh prints and you can work out which forest block they are in. Then you have an even smaller area to watch. For a Eurasian Lynx, while snow remains, that is pretty darn twitchable.

Not the case. The female and three cubs have been followed for several weeks and are using a small area. The site is such that each time the cats move more than several 100 m they have to cross a drivable track. If that track is covered in snow (as at present), they leave fresh prints. Find the fresh prints and you can work out which forest block they are in. Then you have an even smaller area to watch. For a Eurasian Lynx, while snow remains, that is pretty darn twitchable.

Snow certainly helps, I have tracked many by that means out here. Still seeing them is generally a challenge. Unfortunately for those thinking of following you, temperatures are rising to 4-5 C and patchy rain in Estonia at present - snow might well be mostly gone already, certainly usable snow for assessing fresh tracks (vanished here in Lithuania in the last days)

Eurasian Lynx successfully twitched yesterday by one person who went out to the same site as me, using details as per my blog/Mammalwatching trip report.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back