• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oban & Isle Of Mull (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Next week I am going to Oban and hopefully Mull aswell. Where are the best spots to go Birding? I do have a Birding In Mull book but just wondered where are the best spots are?

Hi Euan

The Opus article for Mull has loads of useful information, with hot spots, including map links so you can find them easily. Also on there is a link for the Mull Birds site, which has a page for recent sightings.

Look for the Tyesties in Oban Harbour. I've not been to Oban so early in the year, so struggling a bit on what you might find. But it might be worth trying Loch Nell and some of the other lochs at the back of the town, as well as keeping any eye on the estuary and Loch Feochan a bit south of the town. A run along the Crinan Canal to the harbour may prove productive, you pass a hide, which overlooks a salt marsh at Ballanoch.

I'm sure others will have some ideas for you.

We've always found Loch Scridian good for Otters Euan but they can pretty much turn up anywhere. No Shorties when we were there recently - don't know if they're there now.

Rich

There's a large section on Mull in my book Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands - PM me if you want more details or to see a sample chapter. No obligation

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back