• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (9 Viewers)

Burnett place Aberdeen has had a lot of activity with Waxwings I got some beautiful images of them a few weeks ago I believe they are still there ....

I had a rare opportunity for a foray north today. I spent the morning at Loch of Strathbeg in bright but windy conditions. The long-staying Glossy Ibis was seen early on but quite distantly from Starnafin, lurking in the corner of a field with an alpaca - quite an exotic pairing. It was seen again in flight in the same area but this time from Tower Pool hide. It seemed to mostly stay out of sight though, perhaps in a ditch.

Otherwise it was a fairly typical selection of birds. An immature Peregrine was bombing around Tower Pool, where a Water Rail was heard calling. A Barnacle Goose was at the south end of the Loch in amongst the Pink-feet. A female Scaup was on the water nearby and four more were seen from Fen Hide.

A brief visit to Fraserburgh produced eight Long-tailed Ducks but not much in the way of interesting gulls. At Peterhead my first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year was on the Ugie, four Purple Sandpipers were along the shore and a juvenile Glaucous Gull was in the main harbour. By that time quite heavy rain had set in and we headed home.

Just a couple on noted birds during a day with the grand-children. My first Osprey sighting of the year, 0915 over the Raemoir fishery, seen from the car. A Red-legged Partridge around Milton of Cullerlie area, Couper's Road not far from Flora's. Is this quite a common bird around here ? A first sighting for me, pulled in to a passing place to allow other traffic through and it flew across the road and landed in the field about 5 yards from my car, quite a striking bird seen that close.
Jim

Last edited:
Just a couple on noted birds during a day with the grand-children. My first Osprey sighting of the year, 0915 over the Raemoir fishery, seen from the car. A Red-legged Partridge around Milton of Cullerlie area, Couper's Road not far from Flora's. Is this quite a common bird around here ? A first sighting for me, pulled in to a passing place to allow other traffic through and it flew across the road and landed in the field about 5 yards from my car, quite a striking bird seen that close.
Jim

Red-legs are released in big numbers in the region for shooting, though some do also breed in the wild. There was a small flock at Skene earlier in the year which I'm sure wouldn't have been long out of a pen. Sadly any partridge inland nowadays is far more likely to be a Red-leg than a Grey.

Troup Head

I know most locals already know about this Reserve but If anyone visiting the north east of Scotland over the summer,fancy some easy but good birding,then the RSPB Troup Head Reserve near Banff Is well worth a visit.
I spent this morning there and the views of the Gannets are fantastic,along with the Auks and a few Ravens.I'm sure the numbers have grown since my last visit a few years ago.

I spent this morning there and the views of the Gannets are fantastic,along with the Auks and a few Ravens.I'm sure the numbers have grown since my last visit a few years ago.

The numbers of Gannets I've seen offshore, seem to have greatly increased over the last two years.

A single Peregrine youngster made an appearance today at a city centre site.Hopefully more to follow In the next few days.

Osprey fishing successfully at Donmouth In the city this morning.

Another Osprey fishing with success on the Ythan also and a Little Egret was on the burn that runs through Newburgh Golf Course at the Inches Road.

Loch of Skene this evening withh the usual suspects but my first sighting here of Kingfisher. West end, passed me whilst I was standing at waters edge going north to south.

Jim

Loch of Skene this evening withh the usual suspects but my first sighting here of Kingfisher. West end, passed me whilst I was standing at waters edge going north to south.

Jim

Nice sighting. There have been more records as the population has recovered from the cold winters at the start of the decade. Most have been in late summer to midwinter, probably of dispersing juvs. Yours is the earliest summer record.

More sightings than previously of Common Tern going backwards and forwards between their inland Kirkhill site and the sea this year. I wonder if they're having a better breeding season than average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back