• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Hummingbird Behavior (1 Viewer)

davesmith001

Hello, I saw some really odd behavior from one of our hummingbirds today. I spotted it in the early afternoon and again early evening. It had its head thrown far back, almost looking as if it were trying to swallow or breathe. I've heard of infections that can enlarge their tongue and result in starvation, but I haven't been able to find any documentation of anything that looks like this. I'm hoping it's either trying to cool down (which I've read may look something like this) or some sort of showoff behavior. It has flown off both times.

Here's a link to a video I shot (it's on the left behind another bird). You can't tell in the video but its beak is open and its tongue is sticking out. I'll attach a photo that's a little clearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evktxJZFRYc

Any knowledge or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 10.35.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 10.35.24 PM.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 123
Hi Dave, you're probably already aware of this but hummingbirds sometimes act strangely if the nectar has fermented. Sometimes I act a little bit like that hummer when I've had too much to drink, too!

By the way, your view is beautiful!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back