• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (4 Viewers)

Few signs of any movement this morning. An increase in Common Whitethroats with my first one in Coney Meadow and 5 near Tapenhall.

Cuckoo noted at Ladywood and Salwarpe.

Lesser Whitethroat Tapenhall and still quite a few Willow Warblers in various places. Sedge and Reed Warblers becoming more numerous and widespread.

Pair of Mandarins again plus pairs of Gadwall and Tufted Duck.

Unfortunately, contractors are currently carrying out work to restrict the growth of reeds into the canals. This involves using a large water-borne mechanical cutter - it looks pretty brutal. I questioned them about it and they presented me with papers showing it has been signed off by the Canal and River Trust ecologist. I doubt it will impact the birds so much but it may have a direct effect on the amphibians which are currently spawning in the margins. They said it was an experimental scheme but they were doing it along the whole canal on both sides. I question the timing of it and I fear it is just another case of them appeasing the boating lobby at the expense of the wildlife.

Few signs of any movement this morning. An increase in Common Whitethroats with my first one in Coney Meadow and 5 near Tapenhall.

Cuckoo noted at Ladywood and Salwarpe.

Lesser Whitethroat Tapenhall and still quite a few Willow Warblers in various places. Sedge and Reed Warblers becoming more numerous and widespread.

Pair of Mandarins again plus pairs of Gadwall and Tufted Duck.

Unfortunately, contractors are currently carrying out work to restrict the growth of reeds into the canals. This involves using a large water-borne mechanical cutter - it looks pretty brutal. I questioned them about it and they presented me with papers showing it has been signed off by the Canal and River Trust ecologist. I doubt it will impact the birds so much but it may have a direct effect on the amphibians which are currently spawning in the margins. They said it was an experimental scheme but they were doing it along the whole canal on both sides. I question the timing of it and I fear it is just another case of them appeasing the boating lobby at the expense of the wildlife.

After the last episode you told us about, I got in touch, and was told that someone from the appropriate 'team' would contact me. Needless to say, they didn't. At that time I said we were thinking about cancelling our membership ( we joined solely to support the conservation aspect). I've just cancelled the DD, and told them why.

Hi Mary,

I don't blame you. Unfortunately, in my honest opinion, the Canal and River Trust are a dishonourable organisation and can not be trusted. They like to portray themselves as an ecologically responsible outfit and they cynically milk any opportunity for positive media representation. In this respect, some things they have done over the past few years have turned my stomach. This latest episode has made me realise that we are probably going to witness a progressive reduction in the wildlife value of the Droitwich canal over the forthcoming years. It is very depressing.

Peregrines all over the patch this morning - one over Tapenhall, 2 (male and female) perched on pylons near Knight's Grove and one over New Mill. They could, of coirse, be the same birds milling about.

Cuckoo Egg Lane plus 2 Yellowhammers. Yellowhammers widespread now which is good news as they were quite scarce over the winter.

Common Whitethroats increasing and now seen around several field hedges around Chatley.

Lesser Whitethroats Ladywood and Coney area.

2 Greylags over Tapenhall. Pair of Gadwall there also.

My first House Martin on the patch this year over Hawford. Extremely late to arrive by recent standards - last year I recorded my first in late March.

Last edited:
Male Wheatear in bare field (recently churned up by cattle) just north west of Salwarpe village. Three Gadwall along the river here flew off west. Whitethroat singing in same field.

Early morning Cuckoos at Salwarpe and Porter's Mill today. Further increases in Common Whitethroat and Sedge Warblers. Lesser Whitethroat showing well and singing at Mildenham. A few Willow Warblers singing in various places. A few Sand Martins through Mildenham and Porter's Mill. Yellowhammers at Chatley and Knight's Grove area. Linnets widespread. Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers and Whitethroat at Coney Meadow.

Superb male Whinchat on fence in horse paddocks adjacent to Egg Lane between 'Hill House' and Linacres stables - viewed from gap in hedge.

Last edited:
A Cuckoo was at Tapenhall early this morning.

A Lesser Whitethroat at Mildenham again.

Both Common and Lesser Whitethroats along the railway cutting at Copcut Lane.

At least two Common Whitethroats in Coney plus increasing numbers elsewhere.

A few Meadow Pipits passing overhead over the past few days.

Ducks included Tufted.and Gadwall.

Female Wheatear at Ladywood on rubble by green barn. Lesser Whitethroat and Little Owl calling. A few Sand Martins through.

Two House Martins over Porter's Mill earlier.

Redpoll over Tapenhall plus 2 Lapwings displaying and Willow Warbler.

Meadow Pipit Egg Lane plus small flock of Sand Martins over.

Lesser Whitethroat and Willow Warbler Mildenham.

Lesser Whitethroat and Peregrinr at Copcut / Middleton Bank.

Last edited:
Two Wheatears (male + female) north of Knigrht's Grove - both in sheep field.

Edit: Just found another 2 females so that's 4 so far in the sheep field.

Last edited:
Common Sandpiper at Mildenham Lock feeding on grassy margins then flushed by dog walker - first flew up the canal and then back down towards Hawford. New for the year.

Cuckoo and Lesser Whitethroats in the area.

Great Crested Grebe on the river at Hawford plus three Gadwall and a drake Mandarin.

Increase in Sedge Warblers - seven singing just around the Linacre bridge area.

Magpie and Buzzard in the larsen trap in field near Tapenhall farm. I have informed one of the farmer's neighbours that the farmer needs to release the Buzzard ASAP. She said she'll talk to the farmer. If it is still in there when I do my rounds this afternoon I'll phone the RSPCA.

Two Wheatears (male + female) still in sheep field north of Knight's Grove by the farm along Sinton Lane.

Plus a superb male Yellow Wagtail and 2 more female Wheatears in the horse paddocks by the farm.

Lesser Whitethroat singing.

This is turning out to be a pretty good area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back