• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewfinder magnifier for E-520 (1 Viewer)

pshute

Australia
I bought a Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier for my E-520. It was useful, despite making it hard to see the side display with my glasses on. Then I lost it when it fell off, and I want to replace it.

I'm wondering whether to go for higher magnification this time. I believe the Pentax was 1.17x, I can get a Tenpa or KPS, which are both about 1.3x. Does anyone here have experience using either of these with glasses? I don't mind a bit of vignetting, but I don't want so much that it makes it hard to find the bird.

If the 1.3x's are impractical, I might also consider the Olympus ME-1 (1.2x) instead of another Pentax. Anyone tried these and got a preference? Considering the Pentax needs an adapter to fit my camera, I'm wondering if the ME-1 would vignette less because it's a little closer to the camera.

And how do I stop it falling off this time?

Strange. I received an email saying there had been a reply to this posting, but it's not here. This is what I received:
I use the Tenpa on my E520. It works really well and shows no signs of falling off. Might be awkward wearing specs but I always take mine off when using any viewfinder anyway. Prior to that I used another third-party magnifier - sorry, can't remember what make - and that wasn't bad either but it fell off after a few months. I'd recommend the Tenpa.
I'm sure I wouldn't be able see the viewfinder readouts with a 1.36x magnifier with my glasses on if I look through the centre of the viewfinder, but could whoever posted the reply above (now deleted??) please confirm whether it's possible to see it with glasses on if you move your eye to the left?

I'm sure I wouldn't be able see the viewfinder readouts with a 1.36x magnifier with my glasses on if I look through the centre of the viewfinder, but could whoever posted the reply above (now deleted??) please confirm whether it's possible to see it with glasses on if you move your eye to the left?
I never did get a reply, or find any really sensible postings anywhere answering this question. In a flash of inspiration on day, I decided that if I was to look through the existing viewfinder from a distance then that would simulate the restricted view of a magnifier. I found that from a distance of several inches, I could still see the readout if I put my eye to the left of the viewfinder. So surely any magnifier will allow the same thing.

I took a chance and ordered a 1.36x KPS magnifier. I chose this one over the Tenpa because its mounting plate is screwed on, so you can attach it more firmly. The interchangeable mounting plates are also a better way to attach it than the adapter thingy that came with the Pentax magnifier I lost. The adapter adds distance between the viewfinder and the magnifier, causing more vignetting (I think).

Anyway, with the 1.36x KPS magnifier, while wearing glasses, I get a little vignetting in the corners, and can see the readout reasonably well. They claim their magnifiers have a better field of view than others, so either they're correct or they're fibbing about the level of magnification.

They recommend the 1.2x for glasses wearers, but I'm more than happy with this level of vignetting. I bought it on eBay for about $US40, and it came from Hong Kong to Australia in a few days.

E-620 users might not like this one, as it overlaps the LCD slightly, and might cause problems opening it out. My only objection is that the rubber eyepiece is so big that it catches on things when folder back for my glasses. A simple flat one would be better for me.

Does it help with manual focusing? I've read comments elsewhere that the magnification is so minimal that it doesn't seem to make much difference. I agree that it seems to make little difference, but find that the end results are better. I guess when it's magnified you get pickier about how much detail is in focus without realising. Maybe my shots will be 36% more accurately focused now. Not sure if that's how it works, but if it is then that's worth the money.

I'll just mention this page I came across while researching:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/viewfinders.shtml

That site isn't responding at the moment, so here's the text only version out of Google's cache:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...finders"&hl=en&client=firefox-a&gl=au&strip=1

According to that page, many old 35mm film SLRs had quite small magnification. I never realised that, and many discussions seem to pine for the old days of 100% magnification. Perhaps they're confusing it with coverage. According to that article, coverage was generally 100%, but magnification was only around 0.75x. Apparently you can't have both with a full frame, because of limitations in the optics, but the E series can, because the frame is only half the size. I think only the E-3 achieves it.

Sorry about this pshute! I'm the person who wrote the original reply but seconds after posting it I realised it didn't answer your question, ie are the viewfinder readouts visible when wearing glasses? I decided to delete the post and do a test with glasses on before I replied but I'm afraid I then forgot all about it and haven't been on the Olympus forum again since then (until now).

Anyway, for the record, having just tried it now, I'd say that if you need to be able to see the readouts while wearing specs then the Tenpa 1.36x isn't really suitable.

Sorry again.

David

Thanks for the good information. I use the magnifier that was offered with the Lumix L10. I find it better than the Olympus and it needs no adapter.

Thanks for the good information. I use the magnifier that was offered with the Lumix L10. I find it better than the Olympus and it needs no adapter.
Just for the record, what's the model number of that viewfinder, and what's the magnification? And are you using it on an L10, or on an Olympus?

I took a chance and ordered a 1.36x KPS magnifier. I chose this one over the Tenpa because its mounting plate is screwed on, so you can attach it more firmly. The interchangeable mounting plates are also a better way to attach it than the adapter thingy that came with the Pentax magnifier I lost. The adapter adds distance between the viewfinder and the magnifier, causing more vignetting (I think).
I'm still happy with this magnifier. I rarely get badly focused shots, and had sort of forgotten it was a problem. I'm not sure how much to attribute that to the magnifier, to practice, or to the AF confirmation chip on my adapter, which I've now started using whenever I get a clear view of a bird.

And still no sign of the magnifier falling off.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back